Opening up

NYCJan

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

Very new to the whole coffee scene, but very anxious to get in it.
I'm planning to start my own business, either opening a coffee shop by renting out a space in a building,
or then having a mobile one on a van/truck.

I'm not planning to open the shop in Manhattan, the rent is just too up there, so I was thinking about Brooklyn or Queens,
or the mobile one, which should allow me to travel back and forth.

Could someone please help me understand what kind of permits do I need and maybe a little tip on the machinery to use,
I have been sitting on the forum for the last 2 days and couldn't really find a good answer,
so I'm still wondering how much would it cost me to open up a shop and how much would it cost to customize a truck + getting all permits and licenses, if any needed.

Thank You very much!!!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You will need a food license from your state DIA (Dpt of Inspections and Appeals). No big deal, really.

I urge you to check out the local requirements for grease trap and sprinkler systems for coffee shops if you decide to rent a space. Best bet would probably be to find a space already compliant with regulations.

Not sure of the costs in NY, but $75,000 to $100,000 is probably a conservative estimate of equipment, renovations and supplies needed unless you find a turn key operation for sale, imo. (maybe less if you are handy and buy used equipment.)

As for coffee trucks, there have been a number of them for sale on this site in the past. Check out the threads in business to business.

NYCJan

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply eldub,

How about the expenses weekly and one time ones?
What machines are good, what brand?

Thanks

NYCJan

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a coffee shop in Brooklyn or Queens?
I would really appreciate any help/tips in owning a business in the New York area.

What would be a good space in sq ft?
What are the necessary machines to have? What is a good brand?

Just any help would be appreciated.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello NYCJan;
Don't think you will get much response as your question has too many variables. It is like asking "what kind of transportation do you recommend"? The answers can be from a bike to a Ferrari to a Big rig.
I believe that you should look through this forum and take a day or 2 to read all the posts. I did and got alot of good info. You will have to do alot more research to narrow down your questions.
You must come up with a business plan that will answer alot of your questions like

Who is my target market?

What type of shop will I have- how many seats? or take-out only or combination?

What type of products will you sell? Coffee, what type of baked goods if any? Breakfast-Lunch?

How much capital do you have?

I could list a hundred questions that will then lead to hundreds more but that is part of the business that you need to know and even if money was no problem and hired a consultant these questions would still have to be answered. And once you have answered alot of these questions then you start to narrow down your location search and alot of the previous answers have to change.

Brian

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Brian hit the nail on the head. No offense, but the questions coming out of NYC lately concerning the coffee business are blowing me away.

I would be checking out shops in the area, looking for appropriate size, number of tables, equipment being used and then contact an equipment supplier or three to get basic information on brands, dependability, pricing and service. Then I'd be checking out spaces for rent of the right size, location, etc to get an idea of costs there.

lw

Frankc

Aug 31, 2012
Queens, NY
Visit site
Hey -- I'm new to the forum, been poking around today.

I'm also in NYC and looking to open a shop. NYC has a pretty active coffee scene, but it's also a bit overwhelming. Competing with the established shops will be tough and fun.

Hoping to divine plenty of start-up and coffee shop tips here.

Frank