Coffee storage for best quality

Miha

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello there,

me and my friend are starting a online coffee business and we want to offer the highest possible quality of coffee. We have information that green coffee beans last for 15 months, roasted coffee beans for 15 days and ground coffee for 15 minutes without any special storage. we would like to know how much longer coffee stays fresh without losing quality in airtight container?

We would also like to know how you store coffee and what are best practices? Do you buy green coffee beans and roast them by yourself, or you buy already roasted coffee beans?

We already looked on this forum for those answers but we couldn't find them. We really appreciate any kind of help.

Best regards,
Miha

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Welcome aboard.
There are many different types of members we have here.
There are many home roasters and many coffee drinkers.

I am one of those lucky enough to always have fresh coffee readily available but there have been many questions about keeping the coffee fresh.

I think air tight container with CO2 release valve will keep it fresh much longer(25-30days) but after about 35 days, I believe you will be seriously compromising the quality and taste of coffee.

Miha

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for answers, we really appreciate it.
Firstly I would like to answer PinkRose, we are planning to open it. Right now we would like to know how to store coffee for the best quality because our main goal is to offer the best kind of coffee. And if you have any tips about online coffee business or coffee business in general we would really appreciate for sharing.
Secondly I would like to answer CavalierCoffee. We don’t have an answer to this question yet, so please help us finding the best solution. Should we roast coffee by ourselves by some sort of homemade coffee roaster or should we buy already roasted coffee (in the begining). In next step we are planning to buy home coffee roaster. But we think if we roast coffee by ourselves at home, that we would compromise the quality. On the other hand if coffee is roasted by distributor it may be spoiled because of the shipping time.

Best regards,
Miha

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Miha,

I'm guessing that you have NO experience roasting coffee, which means it's NOT a good idea for you to roast coffee yourself and try to sell it on-line. Roasting coffee isn't something that's easy to do. You need lots of experience and practice to get it right.

If you take some time to read through some of the coffee roasting threads on this Coffee Forum, you'll see what I mean.

Your best option is to find a local roaster and purchase the roasted beans from them.

There are SO many people trying to sell roasted coffee on-line. It's not going to be an easy thing to do.

We have several members of this Forum who roast and sell coffee beans, and they're posted information about storing both green and roasted beans. Do you have an idea what kind of quantity you'll be working with? Are you looking for information about containers for storing the beans, or for packaging them for sale and shipping?

Rose

Miha

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you again PinkRose for you answer!

No we don’t have any experience with coffee roasting, but we were considering this possibility just because we don’t want to spoil the quality of the beans.

In the beginning we don’t want to order big quantities of roasted beans because we don’t know how well the business will stand. On the other hand we know that we need to buy bigger quantities to get the best price. That’s why we were searching for some information about storing the beans.

But like CoffeeJunky said if they are stored in air tight container with CO2 release valve, the roasted beans can stay fresh up to 30 days.

What is your suggestion?

We would really appreciate any further suggestions.

Best regards,
Miha

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
hi miha, i agree with pinkrose. it will be really hard to do something you have not done before. not unless you go on training for it. this may cause a problem to the business you are planning.

keep us posted :).

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com