Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28
    About Americano (not the Italian word for American, but the coffee drink Americano :+), legend has it that when US armed forces in WWII poured hot water into their espresso, the cafe American was born. (I am bit skeptical about this. I know for sure that instant coffee was the most popular coffee drink during WWII. My question is that "where the heck did the soldiers get espresso machine to make espresso in the first place in WWII? does anyone know?)

anyway, going back to this Americano, if you like the flavor and freshness of espresso, but prefer a lighter body with less bitterness, then Americano might just do it for you.

How to make it? super simple. one shot of espresso with 200 ml of hot water.

Also, if you want the Americano, but want to preserve the crema, you can also try the "long black". Just pour your hot water into your glass first, and then, you add your shot of espresso. Anther simple method.

good luck and try to find the answer where the soldiers got the espresso machine to make Americano in WWII.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    My question is that "where the heck did the soldiers get espresso machine to make espresso in the first place in WWII? does anyone know?)
    Well all the rumors/suggestions point to an Italian Barista, so the Germans must not of killed all of them.

Along the way I ran into this site telling about how americans had to ration coffee during WWll.

U.S. Coffee Rationing in World War II - Coffee Crossroads

As you can imagine we were not happy about it and the article says it was the first item to come of rationing.

I am not so certain this is true or not, but I read it from coffee.org

it says : during the American Civil War soldiers who were craving coffee, but they could not get them. so they tried to roast sweet potatoes and corn to make a beverage drink similar to coffee....... Obviously it didn't become a popular choice.

I wonder why they did not try to roast some seeds... like peanuts, almonds and such. Sweet Potatoes???!!!! I wonder what they were thinking...
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

it is very interesting to know that in Dec 2001, Brazil produced a postal stamp that smelled like coffee.
    it was designed to promote their coffee and the smell is supposed to last for 5 years.

why didn't we think of that? we can make entire clothing line that smells of coffee!!!

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-tf7itr67udry5.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

if you are a fan of "Seinfeld" show, I am sure that you know who is the "soup Nazi". :+)

Here is "kafe Nazi" for you.
    King Frederick of Germany created a special "green beret" type of force to search out and destroy illegal coffee smugglers.
    The coffee nazi was called "KAFFEE SCHNUFFLER". Also, the king believed that these coffee nazi who drank coffee were not dependable.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-a0308d6186bd39994745df6d18390f62.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

What do you get when you take few different types of dogs and put them together? A mutt! (like below photo).
    but for coffee, it is a coffee blend. (personally, I am not a coffee blend kind of person, but it is what it is). By combining different types of beans, a coffee expert can give coffee a more complex taste with intricate aromas.

coffee beans can have very different taste if they are from different regions. Some beans may have a good level of acidity but lack aroma, body or color. A blend may be made of up of two or even 10 different types of beans (3 is most popular) in varying quantities in order to get a balanced blend.

think of it as "cooking" mixing different spices and ingredients, to bring out different flavors in your dish.
    Like Vietnamese cuisine that has a lot of opposing spices and flavors that creates a perfect harmony.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-slide_249565_1495097_free.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Today, bit of information about espresso history!

the history of espresso began in 1884 when Italian Angelo Moriondo invented a bulk brewer that pushed pressurised steam and water thru coffee.

In 1901, Italian Luigi Bezzera improved upon the machine and in 1905, the La Pavoni company began to produce machines which could now be used for single servings.

But because the machine is so bulky and big that it wasn't available for home use until 1970s.

below are some of home espresso machines. (does anyone own one of these?)

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-breville-bes870xl-barista-express-espresso-machine.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-delonghi-ec155-15-bar-pump-espresso-cappuccino-maker.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-gaggia-classic-espresso-machine.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-quickmill-andreja.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-rancilio-silvia.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

we all know that european coffee houses were used for intellectuals, discussing about various things in the cafes.

but it is more interesting that first coffee house in USA was established in 1676 in Boston area. (that is exactly 100 years before USA independence).
    Harvard university was established in 1636 in Cambridge which is right next to Boston coffee house area.

coincidence? think not.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links