Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=Bereka;88364]
    Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    The Ethiopian coffee culture always fascinated me for a long time. I was and am keep telling myself that I must visit this coffee origin country one of these days, specially since Jeff Bobcock from Zoka told me about his last trip to Ethiopia with 8 other roasters.

I will be more than happy to make your visit to Ethiopia easier, and have you visit coffee farm in Jimma, Keffa, the birth place of coffee.
    I would love to go as well...not so sure when I would find the time. First want to go to Guatemala with Alex.

Thanks Bereka.
    Someday... But hope that i will happen very soon.
    That would be one of the best trips in my life.
    thanks for kind words again.

I will be there again in Guatemala from July 1 to July 25 with my son, 14 years old, building his characters and learning Spanish (both of us), and working in our company together.

so, if you want to come during that time, that would be perfect.
    also, if any of our forum members want to come, please let me know.
    I will make the arrangements.

Lodging is very cheap (even for me and my son, we rent couple of rooms in a nice downtown house, just $7.50 per day each, private bathroom and shower) and food is also very cheap and good. So many awesome fruits that you can just live off fruits.

for great coffee????!!!! Just come to our company. every types of coffees are on us. FREE! Everyday! that is my promise.

A couple of interesting Graphs for you guys.
    As you can see, Netherlands has the top spot, 2.41 cups per day per person. For USA, it is 0.93 per capita.
    However, I believe that in mid of 1940 (1946), we were one of top five coffee consumption countries in the world.
    Compared to 1946, our coffee consumption has dropped off about half. But in 1946, almost everyone was drinking instant coffee or Folgers/Maxwell.

PS: BTW, in China, the consumption per person is 3 cups! PER YEAR! not per day. But some experts are estimating that by 2020, China will be top 5 green coffee purchasers in the world.... But if you ask me, I doubt it very much after my recent coffee trip to Shanghai. Even though they have purchased 453,000 tons in 2013, compared to 45,000 tons in 2003. Still very long way to go....

However, another interesting fact about China coffee consumption is that they are growing in average 15% to 20% per year... that is tremendous ratio because all other countries around the world.... it is about 2% per year growth.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-coffee-consumption-usa-over-time-1910-2014.jpgInteresting facts about coffee around the world-statistic_id277135_world-coffee-per-capita-consumption_-top-20-consumer-countries-2013.png
    Last edited by ensoluna; 05-25-2016 at 04:08 PM.

It is odd to see Costa Rica is the only coffee producing country on a list of coffee consuming countries, a list in which no other producing country is noted AND they are listed near the bottom. So my two questions are (in no particular order): why is the consumption of coffee so low in Costa Rica, and why, if Costa Rica was mentioned, are there no other producing countries on the list? Is coffee consumption in producing countries really that low? If so, is it an economic phenomenon that the workers are too poor to afford the beverage they work so hard to provide for the rest of the world? Was that more than two questions?
    Last edited by Mr.Peaberry; 05-25-2016 at 04:58 PM.

okay, here it goes.

Costa Rica is probably the most rich country among all the coffee producing countries. Their GDP is about $15,500.00 per year.
    Brazil is about $11,000.00 Guatemala is about $3500.00. Vietnam is about $2000.00

Ethiopia is about $500 per year. YES, $500 per year per person.

For example, a cup of coffee from Starbucks / Costa Cafe / Pacific Coffee...etc cost about same all around the world.
    $4.00 for a medium Latte. (for example, when I drink a med latte from Guatemala specialty coffee shop, I pay about $2.80 instead of paying $4 at Starbucks in Guatemala, but this is still very high pricing compare to what they are making)

HOWEVER, I AM CERTAIN THAT MOST OF COFFEE PRODUCING COUNTRY DRINKS AS MUCH OR MORE COFFEE THAN US IN USA.
    They do not buy specialty coffee or any kind of coffee from specialty coffee shops. They buy Nescafe or local brand (which is half price of Nescafe) instant coffees from Supermarkets or drinks "defective bean (rejects from exportation standard)" all over the country. And I am sure that whomever is registering these sorts of data does not count instant coffee nor defective bean coffees.

PS: let me give you some other example, personal experience.
    Marvin is one of the boys who I sponsor in Guatemala. I give $50 per month to his parent, so that he can go to school, rather than working on the streets.
    he is 14 years old and just graduating from Middle school. He gets off school at 1:30 pm and goes to work, construction work for four hours a day in order to make ends meet. Since he is only 14 years old, he gets paid Q3 per hour (that is about $0.40 per hour). He loves to drink coffee, yes, at 14, it is very common in Guatemala. But instant or bad coffee anywhere he can get.

PPS : To answer your question " If so, is it an economic phenomenon that the workers are too poor to afford the beverage they work so hard to provide for the rest of the world?" THE ANSWER IS ABSOLUTELY YES!
    Last edited by ensoluna; 05-25-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Doug, by the way, Ethiopia exports 860,000,000 pounds of coffee every year.
    however, this is the only country that consumes at least half of their total annual coffee production within their own country.
    that means Ethiopians drink at least 860,000,000 pounds of their own coffee every year, but probably it will never get registered by the people who make that kind of data.
    Also, I am very certain (I am guessing..here) that they are consuming way more instant coffee than regular roasted coffee.

Bereka might know about these figures since he is from Ethiopia.
    Bereka, I will appreciate it if you can give us some more explanation about this matter.
    I am very very interested to know.
    thanks in advance.

PS: I believe that Ethiopia is second most populated country in Africa (about 94 million people) after Nigeria (175 million). And coffee is their biggest export in Ethiopia.

hello Bereka,

just curious. As I know, in Ethiopia, the coffee grounds are brewed 3 times. the first coffee is called Calledawel. Second is called Kale'i and THIRD IS CALLED
    BEREKA which means "to be blessed".

Did you make your forum name after the third round of coffee ceremony?
    Very interesting and very well named. Great name, Bereka.

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    hello Bereka,

just curious. As I know, in Ethiopia, the coffee grounds are brewed 3 times. the first coffee is called Calledawel. Second is called Kale'i and THIRD IS CALLED
    BEREKA which means "to be blessed".

Did you make your forum name after the third round of coffee ceremony?
    Very interesting and very well named. Great name, Bereka.
    Yes it's
    First brew is Abol, second Tona and third Bereka in local language Afaan Oromo and Amharic
    Thank you for the kind words

In coffee brewing methods, EXTRACTION of coffee is one of the most important and least understood aspects of brewing.

To say simply, extraction is the method of extracting different flavors from your Specialty Fresh coffee beans. And as water passes via the grounds, it dissolves all types of different flavors / compounds that you get to taste in your favorite coffee cup.

However, we have to realize that some of the compounds taste awesome, but some are just nasty. And in order to get the good compounds out of the grounds, you need to properly extract the flavors with right amount of water and grounds. Basically, longer contact time is required for coarser grind and vice versa (espresso being super fine).

Here is a photo that I got from internet which you might find it useful.

Interesting facts about coffee around the world-grind-coffee.png

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links