Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Did you know?

Speaking of Chicory in my previous posting, do you know where and when Chicory came into place?
    It was during the American Civil War, when coffee was scarce (because coffee came into northern ports, not the south), the citizens of New Orleans used chicory as substitutes. Today, they would have their coffee with chicory which is mixed with strong black coffee and hot, rich milk.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Costa Rica is an awesome coffee growing country. (but I can not say that C.R. has better coffee than Guatemala though... ha ha ha)
    However, not so many people knows that coffee was brought into C.R. from Cuba (yes, cuba) by a Spanish traveler in 1779.
    Actually almost all coffee in Central American countries came from some islands in Caribbean islands....
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that the word "TIP" dates back to the old London coffeehouses.
    "To Insure Promptness" encouraged customers to pay for efficient services. Hence, resulting acronym, TIP !!!
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know there are 129 different species of coffee plants, but only 2 are produced at scale, Arabica & Robusta...
    Probably there are more than 129 species... I have heard that there are so many different species in Ethiopia that many hasn't been discovered yet.
    however, probably in next 50 years, none of them will exists anyway.. due to global warming...
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that coffee beans are exothermic? (they heat from the inside)
    so they need to be cooled immediately after roasting to prevent further cooking/roasting.

even for me, when I roast at home, I take them out bit earlier than it should and let them roast bit more outside. (I do not have any cooling device)
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

do you know what "sun-dried coffee" (Natural process) is?

It might sound something special and unique, but it is just drying coffee cherries on the patio or African beds with the heat and energy of the sun.
    It is the most simple, effective and natural way to dry the parchment beans.
    Sun dried coffee interacts with the sun rays and undergoes changes in the chemical composition of the beans. This process leaves very unique taste and flavor in the cup and this sundried process requires very hot and dry weather making it suitable only in few places. Mainly done in Brazil & Ethiopia & Kenya.

In Guatemala where I work, some specialty / micro lot farms uses African beds to do sundried coffee process, but it is very labor intensive and costly process for the countries where plenty of sun and dry weather are not readily available.

Did you know?-111.pngDid you know?-321.jpgDid you know?-2111.jpg
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that each coffee cherry contains two coffee beans/seeds?

of course, you knew !!!! ha ha ha.

however, some of the coffee cherry (about 3%) has one bean only, we call them Peaberry. (Mr. Peaberry hasn't been around for a long time... I wonder what happened to him...)

also, some of cherries has even 3 beans, about less than 1%. (I guess, just like people with twins, and triplets..etc).

then, there is a coffee varietal called, "Poly" which has 12 to 18 beans in one cherry. (personally, I have actually seen it and touched it and even brought few home. there is a farm called, Finca Santa Felisa in Acatenango, Guatemala where grow about 10 Poly coffee plants. I believe that I posted some photos of this coffee plant a year ago.. i think..)
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that more than 8 out of every 10 people put milk in their coffee in USA and UK? but only 5 out of 10 put in sugar. (just wondering whether there are people who put more sugar in their crappuccinos (aka frappuccino)? I think I saw one of them a week ago in the crappuccino coffee shop (aka. Starbucks)

PS: however, just for the record, I like their "blonde" coffee. Not because it has awesome taste/flavors, but because it is light/medium roast coffee, the only one they sell. Flavor wise.... it is slightly better than "water-down" 7-11 coffee.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that Brazil published a coffee scented stamp in Dec 2001, with the scent made to last for 5 years!!! Yes, 5 years!!!!
    I wonder how they did it... does anyone know? or has one of these stamps?
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Did you know that you can bring some freshly roasted coffee beans with you when you are shopping for perfume (I am talking about ladies, okay :+) and sniff them in between smelling samples to clear your nose for the next scent. (if you ask me, it is kind of weird doing it, but whatever it works, right?)

I guess that is similar to "cuppers" cleaning out their palates with sparkling water.... between cupping.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links