Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Don't you feel short-changed when you get really badly made latte or cappuccino?

nowadays, a cup of latte costs more than half day wage of Colombia coffee workers.

it has been a while since I stop drinking any so called, specialty drinks (of course, there is a huge misunderstanding what specialty coffee drinks are in this country) UNLESS i know the barista.

There has been so many occasions that ..... one sip of latte and just can not drink it anymore. ..... straight to garbage, $5.00 just throwing away...

what about you guys? have you been disappointed in those "specialty coffees" that they serve in your local coffee shops? (yes, Starbucks included).

I have to say I'm spoiled... we have a very competitive coffee scene in Kansas City and its hard to get a bad drink unless you hit a chain.

Coffee shop coffee is like restaurant food: it's made to get you addicted to it. The reason they use much more sugar than you normally do.

Super Moderator
    I feel very short-changed and disappointed whenever I'm not happy with anything that I've spent my good (hard earned) money on....especially when it comes to food.

When I'm really looking forward to enjoying something, and it's not right, I'm not just disappointed - I'm angry too.

I taste the coffee before I leave the coffee shop, and if I don't like it, I have them make it again.

If you can find a good coffee shop - where they know what they're doing, the chances of being disappointed are less.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    I feel very short-changed and disappointed whenever I'm not happy with anything that I've spent my good (hard earned) money on....especially when it comes to food.
    I taste the coffee before I leave the coffee shop, and if I don't like it, I have them make it again.
    do you ask to same barista who make your coffee to make another one? or do you ask some other barista to make a new one for you?
    if that is the same barista, I certainly do not think that his technique would improve in a matter of few minutes, ha ha ha

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Coffee shop coffee is like restaurant food: it's made to get you addicted to it. The reason they use much more sugar than you normally do.
    Yup! sometimes, some delicious whip cream will do better trick than the sugar. ha ha ha. even though..... probably the restaurant will charge you for the whip cream..... they used to serve free of charge when Reagan was president in Bob's big boy. :+)

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I have to say I'm spoiled... we have a very competitive coffee scene in Kansas City and its hard to get a bad drink unless you hit a chain.
    I had absolutely no idea that "Kansas" is the mecca of super Baristas. where I live, it is absolutely "hit or miss". Miss part is about 90%.
    So, in order to have my "flat white", I drive at least 30 min to my favorite coffee shop. Mr.Peaberry and I have been there few times together, just chatting about coffee and few other things. ha ha ha

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    Do you ask to same barista who make your coffee to make another one? or do you ask some other barista to make a new one for you?
    if that is the same barista, I certainly do not think that his technique would improve in a matter of few minutes, ha ha ha
    I request that another barista re-make the coffee. But, if there is only one barista working, then I'm stuck asking them to re-do it. Usually the person doing the do-over pays better attention to what they're doing, and it comes out better. If not, then I don't go back there again.

New baristas need practice and training. I'm very understanding, and I have patience with that. Politely asking for a do-over is a way to let them know that they need more training and practice or possibly that they need to find another job.

I also have a lot of patience when I'm in a store and I see that someone is new, and they are just learning how to use the cash register. I remember how difficult it was having a new job and learning how to operate new equipment. I've also trained people who became nervous and needed some extra help with the learning process. It's not easy.

If a barista is making "bad" coffee drinks, it's the manager's or owner's responsibility to give then more training - or show them the door. If they don't, then they deserve to lose customers.

~ Rose

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    If a barista is making "bad" coffee drinks, it's the manager's or owner's responsibility to give then more training - or show them the door. If they don't, then they deserve to lose customers.

~ Rose
    yes, I fully understand about this. from my experience, some barista can learn and be great in just few month. (I have seen this because I have sponsored and been in several barista competitions) and some NEVER GETS IT.

anyway, in this country, Barista is an transitional job. It is not a career, unlike in Italy (Barista's average age is 42 years old when here in USA is around 21).
    so, by the time when they can make some decent coffee, probably they have graduated from college and get a "regular" job for their career.

that is the problem here. IMO.

[QUOTE=BIC;106097]I had absolutely no idea that "Kansas" is the mecca of super Baristas. where I live, it is absolutely "hit or miss". Miss part is about 90%./QUOTE]

Technically Missouri but the city gets split down the middle between MO/KS We are very fortunate to have a great coffee scene... KC hosted the US Coffee Championships earlier this year... I don't think anyway left KC disappointed. If you ever make it to KC let me know and we can hit some shops.

And for everyone - if you ever see a Caffeine Crawl event in your town.. ATTEND. Jason and team do a awesome job scheduling these crawls all over the US. https://www.caffeinecrawl.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links