Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Kopi Luwak vs Black Ivory coffee : which one is worse? or better?

Almost everyone knows that Kopi Luwak comes from the poop of weasel (civet) like animal and the controversy behind it.
    And officially this is the most expensive coffee in the world (have you watched "Bucket List"? Jack & Morgan movie?)

But what most of others does not know is that Black Ivory coffee from Northern Thailand brings in about twice more money per pound than Luwak coffee.

It comes from elephants and their poop!

Furthermore, I have heard from my Taiwan coffee buyer that there are monkey poop coffee from Taiwan mountains which is being only sold locally due to very small production.

Do we really need this? what do you think about these types of "specialty (?)" coffees?

Kopi Luwak vs Black Ivory coffee : which one is worse? or better?-_14db518c-96e9-11e7-9cb6-5fa30af43469.jpgKopi Luwak vs Black Ivory coffee : which one is worse? or better?-black_ivory_coffee_worlds_most_expensive_coffee.jpgKopi Luwak vs Black Ivory coffee : which one is worse? or better?-black-ivory-coffee-2-696x483.jpgKopi Luwak vs Black Ivory coffee : which one is worse? or better?-kaffee-liebe-geht-durch-den-elefantenmagen-41-43986976.jpg

The original idea/selling point is those animals are supposed to pick the best beans on their own. Therefore, you use them as free labor to get the best beans possible. But now humans feed them with whatever garbage beans handy. It's like turning dirt to gold scam now.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    The original idea/selling point is those animals are supposed to pick the best beans on their own. Therefore, you use them as free labor to get the best beans possible. But now humans feed them with whatever garbage beans handy. It's like turning dirt to gold scam now.
    yes, that is an excellent point. civets living in wild will certainly eat very riped coffee cherries. but recently, most of luwak coffee comes from caged civets which are being fed whatever beans available (I am just guessing here...), certainly not the best beans that the animals can choose on their own in wild. and as for the elephants, I believe that is 1000 percent marketing gimmick? I have never seen nor heard any elephants eating coffee cherries in wild.....

BIC
    Kopi Luwak vs Black Ivory coffee : which one is worse? or better?-download.jpg

for people who does not know how Luwak coffee gets processed....

In case you guys are wondering here’s a variety of poop coffee’s to try out on this site! https://seaislandcoffee.com

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    In nature, I highly doubt that civets will eat the quaker beans.
    But in captive cage, do they have the choice not to eat the quakers?
    I just wonder....

Recently I found an interesting article with a full description of the best brands of ground coffee https://myfriendscoffee.com/best-ground-coffee/ I think it will be interesting to many.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by salma View Post
    Recently I found an interesting article with a full description of the best brands of ground coffee https://myfriendscoffee.com/best-ground-coffee/ I think it will be interesting to many.
    I got to disagree about death wish coffee being #1 on the list.
    they use Arabica & Robusta mixture for their coffee, mainly to increase the caffeine.
    if caffeine is the main reason you are drinking this coffee, it would be just better to drink a good 100% arabica coffee with a caffeine pill.

BIC
    Just curious... has anyone tried black ivory coffee?
    I was in Bangkok last year (family vacation), but no one even knew what I was talking about.
    Most of coffee that we had in the downtown specialty coffee shops (supposedly, specialty) were crappy. really. so we just stayed with asian drinks, such as boba, grass jelly...etc

I guess that Black ivory coffee can only be found in the north of Thailand...

Just a thought about Kopi Luwak...actually, a couple of thoughts. First, if a civet is much like a cat, perhaps it will not eat unripe coffee cherries in the wild OR in captivity. Second point...the coffee cherries come from a particular grower, cultivated with or without great care...so whatever is given to the civet is unlikely to change it's pedigree due to being run through the digestive tract of a marsupial. Third point...okay so I added another lol...the coffee business has greatly benefited from the recent generations of coffee fanatics (3rd wavers) so that the availability of extraordinary coffee does not require such gimmicks any longer. The mythology of the coffee has lent undue adulation for this dubious source to the point that it has become somewhat of a pariah in the specialty business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links