Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Guatemala coffee report

I guess it is just a rant from a Guatemala green bean exporter...

latter part of last year was a dry year. In Guatemala, we need substantial rain from May to October in order for coffee plants to grow well and strong. if not, not only the yield will be less, but the biggest problem will be the size of the beans.
    when the size of the coffee beans gets smaller than normal, we need more quantity of parchment beans to fill the orders.

unfortunately, it was a bad year for us because we have lost at least 10% of net profits due to smaller beans which got discarded from the processing facilities.

what made me worse is that now, it is getting worse.
    I have been here for exactly a week. but it rained once, yesterday for about 3 hours.
    normally this time of the season, it should rain every single day, at least 2 to 3 hours, very strong rain.

I have a feeling that next year harvest will be even worse than this year.
    Global weather change is really affecting Guatemala coffee farms and the economy of this country.
    very sad.

Climate change is unfortunately very real, especially for coffee producers. Guatemala is not alone in seeing these changes, either. We've had similar reports of weather irregularities coming from Africa, Asia, and South America as well.

Change is climate's middle name. Without change, the 37th parallel north is still under massive Laurentide ice sheet. I guess people at that time knew how to move to the south instead of complaining about the climate. If it's too hot to grow coffee in south america, grow it in north. I don't care to grow coffee in Texas, do you?

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalCoffee View Post
    Climate change is unfortunately very real, especially for coffee producers. Guatemala is not alone in seeing these changes, either. We've had similar reports of weather irregularities coming from Africa, Asia, and South America as well.
    now, I have been here for full two weeks. we are still getting less than 30% of what we are normally get.
    I can see that beans will be very small next year and most of them will be discarded due to size restriction.

One solution would be raising price to customers, but that will not go well at all......

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Change is climate's middle name. Without change, the 37th parallel north is still under massive Laurentide ice sheet. I guess people at that time knew how to move to the south instead of complaining about the climate. If it's too hot to grow coffee in south america, grow it in north. I don't care to grow coffee in Texas, do you?
    Yeah.... try to grow in Texas or anywhere else in USA with a dollar an hour wage. (you want to grow like Ethopia? try $0.30 an hour)
    there is a reason coffee grows in 3rd world countries.
    Look, how well and how of big q'ty that wonderful Kona coffee sells around the world....

Well, everything needs to and will change with climate.

BIC
    Well, everything needs to and will change with climate.
    Climate will do a damn thing for the under-privileged, under-paid, under-appreciated coffee workers in Guatemala and Ethiopia.
    Actually Current climate will make it much worse....

PS: when you said "need to", I took it as a positive statement.

When "climate change" makes it impossible to grow coffee there, you can't be "under-privileged, under-paid, under-appreciated coffee workers" even you want to.

BIC
    When "climate change" makes it impossible to grow coffee there, you can't be "under-privileged, under-paid, under-appreciated coffee workers" even you want to.
    in that case, probably all the coffee workers turn into Khat crops in Ethiopia. (but there is no Khat in Guatemala).
    that is actually much worse than coffee industry.
    it that is the case, they (workers) will be too stoned to know they are under paid, under privileded. however, they will be appreciated by many Europeans.

Don't worry, may take hundreds/thousands of years...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links