Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BIC
    by the way, Guatemalan people just do not eat donuts.
    not in their culture.
    kind of sad story. yesterday, I really wanted to have something sweet. so I put Strawberry jelly and butter on my Guatemalan blue tortillas and ate them.... Not the same, but beggers can not be choosy, right? ha ha

Well, I hope you enjoy your trip! I would say get some to go. But the donít have a good shelf life.

Are they soft tortillas? If so I bet they would be good with cream cheese and jam/fruit. Powdered sugar. Not to bad!

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbletest View Post
    Are they soft tortillas? If so I bet they would be good with cream cheese and jam/fruit. Powdered sugar. Not to bad!
    of course, soft ones. i buy them as they make them. 20 of the soft ones for a dollar.

Thatís nice! The ones we get here are the worst. They fall apart to easy. There is a big difference between fresh and what we get at the store. And I get where you are coming from about having few choices. I lived in the Atlanta suburbs most of my life, everything is so close and convenient. A year ago we moved out away from the city, to get away from the crowd. The one drawback is losing that convenience. Fewer trips to town and making sure we have a list to avoid having a return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    ha ha ha. for me, I have no option. there is only one dunkin' donuts in Antigua, Guatemala and one or two in Guatemala city.
    I have been here working in Guatemala for past 3 weeks. dying to have a decent donut.
    I am going from Panajachel to Antigua, Guatemala for two days.
    definitely, I am going to buy few dunkin' donuts in Antigua tomorrow.
    Great picture from Panajachel Alex...you and your donuts! You are very healthy eater...EXCEPT your weakness, your Achilles heel...is Dunkin' Donuts. BTW, DD is kinda forced to keep the name, especially if they are attempting to compete with Charbucks!! They have great name recognition in the Keurig market, and many people love their signature coffee. It would take more than 100M to buy a new name recognition...it would take something money cannot buy...TIME. Just my humble opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    are you sure? they have been around since 1955 (same time as McDonald's). But it would be very interesting how they will do it.
    I heard that new CEO David Hoffmann is really sharp.
    I wish I could forecast trends like that... LOL. However, something has drastically changed in their business model. DD has never been in our market (or very limited) and my memory is only of one store in a college town about 45 minutes west. Donuts from that store were fresh, flavorful and all the standard flavors you would expect. They were one of my favorite places to stop.. Fast forward DD enters our market (say 5-7 years ago)... WORST DONUTS EVER. I prefer them from our local gas station chain over DD. I don't know what changed but they are flavorless and almost taste manufactured w/ lots of preserveatives or something. Its ironic this topic came up... I went last week and threw half of them out they were so bad.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I wish I could forecast trends like that... LOL. However, something has drastically changed in their business model. DD has never been in our market (or very limited) and my memory is only of one store in a college town about 45 minutes west. Donuts from that store were fresh, flavorful and all the standard flavors you would expect. They were one of my favorite places to stop.. Fast forward DD enters our market (say 5-7 years ago)... WORST DONUTS EVER. I prefer them from our local gas station chain over DD. I don't know what changed but they are flavorless and almost taste manufactured w/ lots of preserveatives or something. Its ironic this topic came up... I went last week and threw half of them out they were so bad.
    It seems that many businesses, that have been around for years and years, are making changes to try to keep up with the competition. Some are making mistakes by thinking that it's okay to change their product offerings or cut corners on quality. No business is immune from the downward spiral, no matter how long they've been around. Sometimes a "sharp" CEO can unknowingly lead the company into a downward spiral. When that happens, it's often too late to change things back to how they used to be.

I can't imagine people going to Dunkin Donuts just for coffee.

I've noticed that they have cut back on their variety of doughnuts, regrettably some of the ones that I used to enjoy. For the past few years, I've noticed a difference in the taste of the donuts. Either they changed the brand of oil that they fry the donuts in, or they changed some of the ingredients. The donuts seem to be smaller in size, too.

I don't enjoy their donuts anymore. What used to be a welcomed treat is now a "No, thank you."

~ Rose

Rose - it's interesting you mention brand of oil change.. something is certainly different. There is a chain of 'nice' gas station / convenient stores called QuickTrip in the midwest. Their food plant happens to be right next to my roasting facility. The donuts are good (better than DD) but share similar 'bland' characteristics. I wonder if it is oil or similar preservatives. Something is now off in DD. I do recall that when DD entered our market I read the perspective... they required a minimum of 10 location buildout to be considered. I wonder if DD now requires an offsite location for all donut 'manufacturing'.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Rose - it's interesting you mention brand of oil change.. something is certainly different. There is a chain of 'nice' gas station / convenient stores called QuickTrip in the midwest. Their food plant happens to be right next to my roasting facility. The donuts are good (better than DD) but share similar 'bland' characteristics. I wonder if it is oil or similar preservatives. Something is now off in DD. I do recall that when DD entered our market I read the perspective... they required a minimum of 10 location buildout to be considered. I wonder if DD now requires an offsite location for all donut 'manufacturing'.

The past few times when I went to Dunkin Donuts and asked if they had a certain donut (sourcream with powdered sugar) that I used to buy all of the time, they said "Those donuts weren't in today's delivery." I was surprised to hear that, because I always thought the donuts were made on the premises. It looks like things have changed. It's been a few months, and none of the Dunkin Donuts shops in our area have had those donuts. I finally gave up looking for them.

Today, after reading Alex's comments about them shrinking down their donut selection, I'm guessing that my second favorite donut is among the missing. Years ago, I used to buy the donut that they called Dunkin Donut. It had a donut handle - I was disappointed when they stopped making them. As far as I'm concerned, things have been going downhill for them ever since.

Here is an article that I found about the changes that they made. It appears that they changed the oil that they use for frying the donuts, in addition to some other things:
    https://www.cookinglight.com/eating-...a-dunkin-donut

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links