Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Why aren't we using better coffee for our retail shops?

STAFF!
    TAX!
    OVERHEADS!
    COFFEE COST!
    and THE EVER RISING RENT!!!!

When we calculate, the coffee costs isn't that much of a factor. Even if we use much better coffee, it would raise the coffee retail cost by just few cents, so why aren't we doing it?

Most of retail cafes are making 8 to 10% net profit.
    by using much better coffee to raise the standard of their quality, wouldn't it be better for their future?

what do you think?

I'm guessing it's because most people don't think that much about what their coffee taste like as long as it's hot so why should the shops spend the extra. Over the last few years we have had a few drive thru coffee huts pop up and while the coffee is better than a gas station it's still just ok to me, Burger King has better coffee

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    I'm guessing it's because most people don't think that much about what their coffee taste like as long as it's hot so why should the shops spend the extra. Over the last few years we have had a few drive thru coffee huts pop up and while the coffee is better than a gas station it's still just ok to me, Burger King has better coffee
    As you said, if "most people dont think that much about what their coffee taste like as long as it is hot".
    then, we (coffee consumers and industries and specially as coffee lovers) are in a big trouble....

i wonder what others might think about this..

On another forum I belong to someone started a thread a while back on coffee and is at seven pages now. Most just buy what ever they can get at the grocery store, Costco etc... There are only a few posters that demand fresh beans. When we explain what we do every morning most comments are "that's to much work, I just want some coffee".

Take my wife who is around good coffee, I make a pot with my Chemex almost every weekend for us and she still prefers her K-cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    Take my wife who is around good coffee, I make a pot with my Chemex almost every weekend for us and she still prefers her K-cups.
    It's funny... I have a good friend that buys 10lbs a month from me, most of it is give-away to his clients. Although he has tons of great coffee, his wife still prefers her instant coffee. LOL. I heard someone say there is a difference between quality and taste... and everyone has their opinion on taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    ... and everyone has their opinion on taste.
    Yes, people tend to prefer what they are used to. We have all seen examples of people used to some truly horrid swill that they think is wonderful. Right?

BIC
    still wonder why retail shops aren't using better beans when there is such a small difference, when considered entire cost of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    still wonder why retail shops aren't using better beans when there is such a small difference, when considered entire cost of operation.
    Well... one challenge is what is the definition of better beans? Most of our shops around here use local roasters /high-quality specialty... there are a few shops that don't but they don't last long.

There is a portion of the population that are "non tasters", whatever you give to them is good if you tell them it is good. I know a few people like this and it is truly amazing what they will consume. As I said, non tasters

There is a portion of the population that habitually drink what they grew up with.........for you old farts, that means crappy commercial grade coffee.

Now for you people who say it does not matter, there is a whole specialty coffee industry out there that is growing that would say otherwise. I have entered the food service realm lately and while I don't have to be the lowest price, I have to be low

BIC
    "for your old farts, that means crappy commercial grade coffee" : yep! that is my mom. still drinking forgers with ton of sugar and cream. whenever I go and see her, she serves me that same coffee and I am more than happy to drink til last drop. :+)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links