Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I used to buy a pound of beans at a time and would remove them from the bag and store them in a stainless cannister that has a CO2 vent. Lately I've been buying two pounds at a time. One goes in the stainless cannister and the other is stuck in a zip lock freezer bag and put in the freezer. I go through a pound of cofffee in about 4 to 6 weeks. I find this approach works well for me and my beans remain fresh.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

I get my coffee from Astonishing Coffee Co (yes, this is a company account I am using) and the bags that are used are made from a type of foil that block out the light and also have a degas valve. I keep the coffee bag in my cupboard when not being used and I haven't had any issues.

Yeah, the original bag usually does a perfect job if you consume it within a week or two maximum. In our family 12oz bag would last about 10 days, but sometimes I can't withstand the desire to buy 1-2 extra bags of new beans and with repeating opening and closing I can notice changes, especially when pulling shots. So, you can either separate it into multiple bags, this would work for some time, or use a coffee canister, vacuum or those with a CO2 vent. Here is an article on storing coffee beans. I would not go with a mason jar, especially if you are planning to store beans for longer time, but like somebody mentioned before, the whole story depends on the beans you buy. If that's fresh roasted specialty coffee then storing it in a special coffee container would make more sense. If that's a bag of mainstream coffee, then it just has already less to lose and you may not notice the difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links