Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help! Too many scales with lousy reviews

Hi everyone
    just started to take my coffee making to the next level.
    know trying to determine what scale to buy. All the recommended
    ones have a multitude of negative reviews. After spending a week
    reading reviews. My head is spinning. Help me, please!
    Thanks

I found the same thing. You can get carried away with making sure you buy the perfect scale. But the reality is many of them are unreliable. I suggest you look for the scales with the best ratings on Amazon, compare prices and features and then buy the one with the highest ratings that you can afford and has the features you need. in the end, you just want to start weighing your beans and water and shots. You'll then want to tweak the weight to your taste buds. As long as the scale is consistent, it's accuracy is less important. You just want to establish some consistency. Any scale will do that. But if you notice that when you weigh the same thing over and over and keep coming up with a different weight for it, that's not good. I bought a Etekcity scale for about $17 at back in 2018. It's pretty handy, seems to be consistent. I have no idea how accurate it is. Decent features. Now I see it's available for only $14. Lots of reviews and only 4% of them negative which I find to be pretty good for these things. Good luck in your search.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Thanks for the advice. I did as you suggested and bought one I am sure will
    satisfy my low level skill set

Quote Originally Posted by Dogstar View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I did as you suggested and bought one I am sure will
    satisfy my low level skill set
    If you don't mind saying, after your research, which scale did you choose?

Yeah there are lots of scales available and I find it hilarious when some spend an outrageous amount on the Acaia brand. I've had a handful of different scales over the years, but by far the absolute best is the My Weigh Barista. Thing is crazy fast, accurate, consistent, water resistant, is rechargeable and has a negative type display. Typical price in the past has been $40, but I scored mine for $28 +shipping a bit over 1 year ago and it's been phenomenal.

https://myweigh.com/product/barista-scale/

Regarding Amazon... I'd say take their reviews and lame Amazon Choice/Best Seller B.S. with a grain of salt/coffee as most often their reviews are boosted by free/discounted products, etc.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I got a really cheap one from Amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I chose it because its small enough to fit under my portafilter and fit in the "cup holder" on my Baratza grinder. It's not perfect... occasionally it creeps. But for the most part, it does its job well, and it definitely makes a big difference in dialling in espresso. Once I'm dialled in, I prefer to grind by time anyway.
    A day without coffee is like... just kidding. I have no idea.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Yeah there are lots of scales available and I find it hilarious when some spend an outrageous amount on the Acaia brand. I've had a handful of different scales over the years, but by far the absolute best is the My Weigh Barista. Thing is crazy fast, accurate, consistent, water resistant, is rechargeable and has a negative type display. Typical price in the past has been $40, but I scored mine for $28 +shipping a bit over 1 year ago and it's been phenomenal.

https://myweigh.com/product/barista-scale/

Regarding Amazon... I'd say take their reviews and lame Amazon Choice/Best Seller B.S. with a grain of salt/coffee as most often their reviews are boosted by free/discounted products, etc.

The description for your My Weigh Barista scale says that it needs to be recalibrated from time to time. How do you do that?

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    The description for your My Weigh Barista scale says that it needs to be recalibrated from time to time. How do you do that?

Just curious
    I actually don't as based on catch bins, etc. that I use with it it's always dead on within .1 gram, which works for me. Of course weights can be bought as I think it's designed to use a specific amount of weight, but I simply don't see a need to. Now if it was used in a very busy environment getting bumped around, all sorts of weighted objects getting tossed on it, getting wet, etc. then I imagine it would be good to calibrate it periodically as would any scale. For the price point I'm sure not many come close. One guy on another forum said he bought one for his wife for baking as he didn't want her using his Acaia Lunar, but said the My Weigh Barista was on par with the Acaia, just a bit too large to fit on his drip tray. I don't bother weighing extractions like some 'enthusiasts' do, but more power to them. I let my eyes/taste determine flavor/texture. Number chasing is least important for some variables.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I use the Brewista for espresso, works fast and has nice features. It's more expensive than it should be IMO... I dislike my Hario for espresso - it works great for pour overs.

Are you using this just to measure your coffee before brewing? Using it for manual brewing / I.E. Pourover? Using for measuring gram output of espresso? What is your brewing method?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links