Adding milk to Americanos

jnageb18

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
I think you should drink coffee the way you like :)
I think that there are too many "coffee experts" around judging how others have their coffee when its not as "particular" or "refined" as they would do it..

FWIW, Italians do not drink cappuccinos after noon and never after a meal. They believe milk disturbs digestion.

I love the idea of adding espresso to water for an Americano. No one does that around me.

And I also agree with PinkRose. The idea of watering down espresso is silly at best.

If you want American style coffee, a good batch brewer is best, as long as it's turned over every 1/2 hour. I'm opening a coffee bar soon and spent the past 2 days modifying and dialing in my Fetco 2052 to brew into smaller 2-3L pots. I make a pretty mean pourover and my espresso makes a great Americano, bit neither beats what this Fetco can produce for American drip coffee.

As a half Italian guy who had his cousin from Italy come over, I agree which you on the cappuccino rule. I actually prefer to have heavy cream in my cappuccino as I have to watch my carb intake. Regular milk usually has about 11g for 8oz (imperial system measurement), half and half has 1g per 1-2oz, coconut and almond milk do not work at all for cappuccinos and can have the same amount of carbs as regular milk, while heavy cream has 0g of carbs. The only place I know that allows you to use heavy cream is Starbucks and I hate the taste of their coffee.

P.S. The reason I say that they can have a lot of carbs is because the manufacturers have unsweetened versions of the milks. However, I have been using the fairlife milk and it only as 8-9g of carbs for 8oz which is great for me.