Any insight on starting to roast in a drum roaster?

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
In Texas we have something called the Cottage Industry Law or something along those lines, allowing us to roast and sell with just a food handlers license. Also we are a ministry and just ask for donations for the coffee, so that also helps.

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Oh Ok! I was looking at the Cottage food laws here, I just didn't see Coffee Beans listed as an option, but I'll have to recheck into that. I think I'm going to have to go in and talk to someone face to face to figure it out. We are about to buy a BBQ roaster as a starter roaster from a guy and I was wondering if we would be allowed to sell the beans if it wasn't a commercial coffee roaster, but it sounds like it might be possible. The guy we are buying the roaster from was selling them, but I wasn't sure if he was doing it legally or not. Anyways, thanks for the info!

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Oh Ok! I was looking at the Cottage food laws here, I just didn't see Coffee Beans listed as an option, but I'll have to recheck into that. I think I'm going to have to go in and talk to someone face to face to figure it out. We are about to buy a BBQ roaster as a starter roaster from a guy and I was wondering if we would be allowed to sell the beans if it wasn't a commercial coffee roaster, but it sounds like it might be possible. The guy we are buying the roaster from was selling them, but I wasn't sure if he was doing it legally or not. Anyways, thanks for the info!

Will you be selling the coffee beans as a hobby to friends and neighbors, or will you be selling them to a store that will be re-selling them or using them in their restaurant or cafe?

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I am selling about 20 lbs a week under the cottage food laws. I sell in person to anyone who wants them, but no retail or other in-store sales. Its a gray area, but I think I am pretty safe. The quality of the roasts is good, inho, and I am getting rave reviews from my new customers. But CJ is right that the environmental conditions have a strong impact on roasting times, and I have to rely on smell and sound to determine when to stop the roast. Not ideal, but a good way to earn money to buy a commercial set-up when I am ready.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It is very difficult but not impossible to have decent roast on your bbq drum roaster.
I have used bbq drum roaster for my own personal use. It is great if you are roasting under few hundred pounds a week.
But if you are looking to roast more then 200-300 pounds, you really need to get decent commercial grade roaster.
FYI, I have 5 pound bbq drum roaster which i have roasted up to 150 pounds in a week.

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think we are hoping to have a few hundred pounds a week the first year then be able to get a commercial grade roaster. We have gotten a lot of positive feedback with just the CRC-JavaPro, even though it is kinda tricky. I just record the process and it seems pretty consistent with the cracks and quality.

The only apprehension I have with the BBQ is not being able to see the beans.

ODanchez

Jan 31, 2014
USA
Visit site
Will you be selling the coffee beans as a hobby to friends and neighbors, or will you be selling them to a store that will be re-selling them or using them in their restaurant or cafe?

So sorry to ask a question and then not get back on for awhile! Just had a baby and have been a little behind on other things! Our main future goal is to start our own coffee shop roasting our own beans, but for now we are planning to just start slow and roast for friends/family as we learn more about roasting. Really want to get a commercial roaster sometime soon, but that's not an option quite yet. Have been pan roasting for a few years just for fun, but we actually just purchased a homemade BBQ roaster from a local guy since I last was on here. Hoping we could maybe get a cottage license and sell to friends/family and maybe even the local farmers market if that is legal. But haven't figured out all the legal parts of it yet.

BFRoasters, glad you guys found a roaster you like so far. Hope it works out for you guys!

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! We bought a BBQ roaster too, waiting on it to ship. In Texas you can do the farmers markets and stuff with a cottage permit. And all you have to do is take a short online food handlers course. Pretty cool.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
but for now we are planning to just start slow and roast for friends/family as we learn more about roasting.

Congratulations on the new baby! I'm pretty sure you're going to be busy (and sleepy) for a while.
It's good that you're still interested in roasting. Starting out slow is the best way to do it while you learn about roasting. Testing the coffee out on your friends and family is helpful too.

Thanks for the update.

Rose

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
I have that roaster and I roast 4.5 lbs max at a time. I couldn't see roasting that many pounds of coffee in a week. I currently sell at my Church, because in my State the Cottage law doesn't allow me to roast and sell at home, but I'm exempt under the "Sunday Bake Sale" clause. I've developed a core group that love the coffee and I'm wanting to expand into retail. I posted a question earlier about how to co-op with a baker, or café and sell coffee in a retail setting. When my base grows I will get a bigger roaster and facility. Baby steps now.

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have that roaster and I roast 4.5 lbs max at a time. I couldn't see roasting that many pounds of coffee in a week. I currently sell at my Church, because in my State the Cottage law doesn't allow me to roast and sell at home, but I'm exempt under the "Sunday Bake Sale" clause. I've developed a core group that love the coffee and I'm wanting to expand into retail. I posted a question earlier about how to co-op with a baker, or café and sell coffee in a retail setting. When my base grows I will get a bigger roaster and facility. Baby steps now.

Hey how are your times on 4.5 pounds, and what is your drop temp? I have found I can only do around 2lbs 6ozs and have to let the roaster get very hot to get roasts under 20 min.

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
I have the bigger drum and smaller drum from Len. I preheat to 400 degrees then put the beans in. At 4.5 lbs it takes over 30 minutes, which is a long time. After the first crack, I turn off the side burner and put on the exhaust. This brings the temp down, which maxes out at about 510 degrees, sometimes more.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I have the bigger drum and smaller drum from Len. I preheat to 400 degrees then put the beans in. At 4.5 lbs it takes over 30 minutes, which is a long time. After the first crack, I turn off the side burner and put on the exhaust. This brings the temp down, which maxes out at about 510 degrees, sometimes more.

This is exactly why (in my estimation) why there was such hesitancy to take time and offer advice in the thread you started about taking your hobby to the next level of starting a business and partnering w/ a bakery or cafe.

Whoever said you should start your own business might not know what good coffee is. Pardon me for being blunt, but what you're describing is not properly roasted coffee.

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
I would beg to differ. Coffee is a matter of taste. I have sampled from official roasters who already package their product and others who sell it at coffee shops. I judge my self hard to see what I am able to achieve and I am able to come close to. Sometimes I have done better. I surpass and fall short. Am I an Artisan? No. That's not the market I plan to target. Have I tasted knock your socks off coffee, you bet. But, that's not my aim.

Last edited:

BFRoasters

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
the reason I asked was, coffee roasted that long isn't really roasted it's baked. So I have to let the thing get really really hot, then drop the beans, then I hit first crack around 14 min and turn the exhaust on. Generally I get it in at 18 min for a med roast and 20 for a dark. But we are getting a new roaster this month because it seemed to be odd that you have to let it get that hot before you drop the beans. Anyways, the first few roasts I did were around 28 min and people liked them, I just noticed a huge difference in taste one the time went down.