Appeal of Dry-Processed Coffee?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I roasted a dry-processed Ethiopian coffee and I am not a fan. It's not the initial coffee flavor, it's the aftertaste! It is very earthy (much like matte) and it lingers allll day (literally for ~ 10 hours). Just a question but are there any qualities that I am missing or is this unusual for a dry-processed coffee? Just wondering what the appeal is...

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We do real well with our dry processed Sidamo. (Although a customer earlier in the week said about the same thing you are saying in the post above. But it was the first time I'd heard that opinion in over a year of roasting this bean.)

I have a pretty good palate and don't notice the lingering effect. To me the bean is lively and blueberry-like in the cup with a winey acidity.

How far are you roasting this bean?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
I think I may have roasted to a Full City or maybe a +...I was using a different site before to determine my roast levels and was unaware of exactly how long I was roasting it. Maybe this has something to do with it?

I am colorblind so roasting can really suck for me as it is based on slight color variations.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I am colorblind so roasting can really suck for me as it is based on slight color variations.

This doesn't answer your question, but using bean color to determine roast level is unreliable, to me at least. Different beans, like Kenya and Sumatra will look either darker or lighter than they actually are. And decafs will always look darker.

Other roast markers can help more, like smell and smoke, and how fast the temp is climbing (if you have a good way to monitor temps). During 1C the beans are giving off energy, and temps climb easily. Then after 1C, the beans get a little more resistant to taking on more energy, and the temps will rise, but more gradually. Then at Full City, and FC+, the level just at the end of the stretch between 1C and 2C, they will start to smoke more and will enter an exothermic stage where they're giving off heat/energy, so the temps will rise more quickly again.

I have not noticed the effect you mentioned from drinking DP coffees. Is it happening every time, or could there perhaps be something else going on like what you ate or drank?

cestrin

Jul 19, 2013
Tempe, AZ
Visit site
It happened every time to my girlfriend and I. She is not a coffee connoisseur and she pointed it out to me. It got better each day that the bean sat but it was very apparent.

Bradleysteenkamp

Dec 19, 2012
Horsham, UK
Visit site
It could just be that it isn't the best dry processed out there! Quality varies hugely. We've had some amazing dry processed coffees from Ethiopia, Nicaragua and Costa Rica. All were very clear, sweet and fruity. But, we had one that wasn't. Lots of over fermented beans in the sack, it was acceptable at a darker roast but very much inferior to all the others. Dry processed coffees can be amazing but at the picking, sorting and drying stage a lot can go wrong.