are disposable coffee pour overs the next big thing?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
the reason I make 100% Kona coffee K-cups is there are a lot of imitators and 10% Kona's out there and I wanted to give a true 100% Kona option to people just like the disposable pour overs
Yes, I know that there are a lot of Kona blends. I was even able to find them in Marshalls yesterday! $7.99 for 12 oz!

This is my argument. if you REALLY want to give consumers of your real 100% Kona experience, Don't do K-cup nor disposable pour over (& I do not think that your Kickstarter will help either).

Why? Very simple. it is ground coffee that you are selling. If you are a coffee farm owner, you should know that Ground coffee is only good for 15 min once you grind it from very freshly roasted beans. When your customers buy K cup or Pour over few days later, few weeks later, few month later, do you really think that the consumers will fully experience 100% Kona coffee flavors? As you may know, one month old 100% Kona K Cup/pour over ground coffee will not be as good as freshly ground Kona Blend coffee.

However, I fully understand why you are venturing into K Cup and even disposable pour over. And you and I both know that it is not about giving 100% Kona coffee experience to consumers with the K Cup / Disposable pour over because you really can not get 100% Kona experience with K cup & disposable pour over.

fe2f687908b4ce3a80d9a07636e64e98_original-1024x576-960x540.png

Last edited:

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
I understand what you are trying to say however a very large percentage of people who buy from us specifically ask for ground coffee now I could refuse them but my point is keeping the consumer happy and giving them what they want

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I understand what you are trying to say however a very large percentage of people who buy from us specifically ask for ground coffee now I could refuse them but my point is keeping the consumer happy and giving them what they want
well, as I said, I understand why you want to do this.

But what do not understand is why you are keep trying to convince us that you want your consumers to have full 100% kona experience with k cup and disposable pour over.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I believe that coffee in Kona Originated from Brazil.
according to wiki, yes, the first coffee plant was from Brazil in 1825. But this plant did not last long and it faded away by late 1800.

So, in 1892, Guatemala Typica was introduced into Kona island and became the DOMINANT PLANT NOW.
TODAY, the coffee in Kona is called Kona Typica which is the descended from Typica Guatemalan plants.

Most of Kona coffee plants were from Guatemala, mainly Typica coffee plants.

So, when I mentioned above, I was referring to "current coffee plant" in Kona. However, Topher, you are right about the first coffee plant coming from Brazil.
thanks

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
No Alex thank you! I didn't read it on Wiki..I was relying on a farmer in Brazil...told me some story of how the coffee got to Kona that involved someone seducing another and then stealing cuttings. To answer your question is it worth the cost...It all depends on what you like. I like bright acidity so I do not drink Kona.

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
thank you by the way for comparing my Kona coffee to a Ferrari engine, that's the way my customers feel about it too. and yes a Ferrari engine cost a lot more than a Tuk Tuk engine but most people will agree that it is worth it, just like my customers do, and almost anyone can afford a Tuk Tuk but it is true not everyone can afford a Ferrari. That being said I would like to know your opinion on fresh coffee at what point is the clock ticking at pulping, at drying, at hulling,at green bean,at transporting,at roasting, at grinding, when?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
that being said I would like to know your opinion on fresh coffee at what point is the clock ticking at pulping, at drying, at hulling,at green bean,at transporting,at roasting, at grinding, when?
is your name Patrick? my name is alex. I do not want to keep saying Mongoose.. kind of weird. about "fresh coffee" matter, I am sure that you already know very well of these matters since you are the owner of a coffee farm for many years.

also if you want to me explain all that in detail, that would be many many pages long and probably no one wants to read all that.

so, if you have one or two specific questions, please ask me. I do not mind answering.
thanks
alex from Ensoluna SA

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
mu name is Bob not Patrick Im not the one who started this conversation, but earlier you stated that coffee is going bad 15 minutes after you grind it, what keeps it fresh up to that point?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
mu name is Bob not Patrick Im not the one who started this conversation, but earlier you stated that coffee is going bad 15 minutes after you grind it, what keeps it fresh up to that point?
i'd better stop here communicating. sorry it has been going on too long and i feel that it is bit futile to go on. I am sure that you can find your answers in the web.

Mongoose

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
Iam sorry you find it futile, however when you make a statement and then don't back it up that is disappointing. Everyone knows that coffee starts going bad the second it is hulled and made into green bean, then it sits around in burlap bags in a container or warehouse for who knows how long before it gets to the roaster. Are you saying you keep your coffee in parchment until roasting and then just roast 20g in order to drink it fresh?

Latest posts