Bags - To Vent or Not to Vent?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
let me tell you how we (our factory in Guatemala) do it. Not everyone is same, but I just would like to tell you what kind of bags and methods we use. it might be interesting for you guys to know.

1. Vented bag with heat seal / with our logos printed on it (Roasted bean) : we use this for our retail customers in Guatemala, like coffee shops and hotel displays and souvenir shops. but we wait 24 to 48 hours before we bag them after roasting.

2. vacuum packed with heat seal(of course) : only for ground coffee for certain customers. some times customers want our logo on the bag for display or sometimes not.

3. vacuum packed with heat seal for green coffee (50 lbs each bag) : we sell to other roasters around the world (only by special request because cost is much higher than burlap or jute bags for exportation). these coffees are cafe oro (after peeling parchment). Also all the CoE (cup of excellence) coffees are packed in 50lbs vacuum pack, stored in Cafcom warehouse in port quetzal until customer buys them.

4. vacuum packed with heat seal for green coffee (300 grams) : we only use this to send out cupping samples to overseas.

5. regular bag without seal : just local small coffee shop buyers who buys from us 2 times a week. small q'ty. like 10 bags each buying

6. regular bag with heat seal, no logos.. nothing on it : this is for mostly hotels and restaurants who never shows our coffee bags to customers. They use them very frequently and buy once a week. so this type is just fine for them

7. vented bag with see-thru clear window with zip lock : this is most costly but very good to show your bean roast and bean sizes. In our factory, only very high end retail shop or hotel asks for this due to high cost. (I ordered 3 different coffees from Jumpinjakjava (Bob) and just received them yesterday. he also send 2 extra samples of different types of coffees in vented bag. Very nice. Yirga + Brazil Yellow Bourbon + Tarzania Mzuzu. Tried yirga (awesome, as usual. surprisingly taste very much like Pacamara) and Bourbon (sweet but not complex. very mild after taste) this moring. Looking to try out Mzuzu. and probably i will cupping all five of them this afternoon. Looking forward to it. THANKS BOB. you are a great guy and your coffees are awesome !. Thanks )

if you guys have any questions on this, just let me know.
glad to help.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Late to the discussion, been away on vacation. We are a very small producer, and sell only face to face. We are building our brand as produce. "Buy your coffee like you buy your fruit and veggies"...fresh and every week. We use kraft paper bags with tin ties and do indeed use a pin prick in the side panel do allow the coffee to de-gas. We stamp the labels with ink stamps and hand write the origin and roast date on the back. For our very "artisan" brand, this works well so far. I do realize that as we grow, decisions about packaging will need to be made.