Choosing an Espresso Grinder- I''m Going Crazy

KMM

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've purchased my espresso machine (Elektra Maxi Series) for my shop. I've been recommended the Mazzer Super Jolly grinder, but I just can't get a warm and fuzzy feeling with this grinder as my choice. I know it's a very good grinder. What makes me hesitate is this: the timer mechanism (my roaster advised against it) and its adjustment mechanism (seems difficult to get precise adjustment and requires a lot of strength). Also, I like a simple on/off switch like what the Macap M4 has. Any recommendations? My shop will not have big city, rush volume but my roaster says that I would need one that's more powerful than the Macap M4. I guess my question is should I not be bothered by the timer mechanism of the Super Jolly? And once my grind is set, will adjustments be minimal, making the stiff adjustment not such an issue? I do like the price of the Super Jolly compared with other machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KMM

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We'll probably go with her suggestion. She has many years of experience in the industry.

Financing just got approved late last week. We want to open the shop in early June. I'll be doing some serious shopping soon.

lw

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I have used a Super Jolly and didn't care for it because of the same issues you have with it. I can highly suggest a Nuova Simonelli MDX as it is easily the equal of the SJ with superior micrometric adjustment and a simple ON/OFF switch. The MDX is great for low-medium volume and it grinds a bit faster than the SJ as well. Probably a bit cheaper too.

I know Mazzers are good, but really no better than most other commercial grade grinders. You often pay for a name. Same with La Marzocco machines. Sure they're great, but no better than other higher end commercial machines and the LMs are among the most expensive available. FWIW I have used two La Marzocco machines so I speak from experience.

I will add that the Compak line of grinders is something you may want to take a look at. They have alot to offer for the money.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
The best espresso grinders are the larger conicals. They provide a better bimodal particle distribution in your grounds, which is best for both body and clarity in espresso.

Many people like the Mazzer Robur, but the best grinder for the $$ is the Compak K10. They have both Doser and Doserless. At $1400-$1800 (depending on specific model), you won't find a better grinder.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at the Nuova Simonelli MDX since shadow745 made the recommendation. The price looks right for our application. My desire is to find a decent unit for a fair price.

John P: As for the Mazzar Robur and the Compak 10, they are in a price range where I wouldn't expect to find a better grinder.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The best espresso grinders are the larger conicals. They provide a better bimodal particle distribution in your grounds, which is best for both body and clarity in espresso.

Many people like the Mazzer Robur, but the best grinder for the $$ is the Compak K10. They have both Doser and Doserless. At $1400-$1800 (depending on specific model), you won't find a better grinder.

I know conicals have some advantages, but to say they're the best is more opinion than anything else. Some like the clarity/brightness they provide, but some like the more bold/less bright flavors provided by flat burrs.

Main advantage most talk about with conicals is they require less dialing in with changing variables when compared with flat burr grinders with all things being as equal as possible.

Eldub, I mentioned the MDX because of your price range and it's a fantastic grinder for your application.