Coffee Wholesaler in China

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
I am sick of Alex keep bragging about his trips. Lol. I haven't been able to go for awhile and I am itching to get back. lol. @ Alex. It was a joke dude. ;)

i know that you are joking!!!!! :=)
I wish that even though other people does not sign up, at least you and your wife can come.
actually, during this summer time, I am planning to take my son, 13 years old, AWAY from his stupid video games and TV and take him to Guatemala to learn Spanish for a month in the morning and take him around coffee farms, companies...etc to BUILD HIS CHARACTER.

I think that even my wife might come for a week or so.
anyway, I am really looking forward our forum members to sign up with you. that would be awesome.

chelovek1

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
As someone doing very basic research, I found this post much more helpful than anything I've found on google. I'm based in China full time and I have a similar opportunity to djmd, only with El Salvador beans instead of Jamaica Blue. For me it's less about the money and more about promoting coffee and putting my ancestral country on the map, even in some minor capacity. Do you think it's feasible that I look for a purchaser in the Mainland/HK/TW as an amateur, or is it best left to the experts like you?

PS: Sorry that you had a bad time in Shenzhen, there are many coffee shops here in Shanghai and I can order roasted beans delivered to my apartment. I definitely think this is what the future holds for the rest of China as they follow Shanghai's example.

Last edited:

GAK

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Do you have interest to purchase coffee from Indonesia?
We can offer you Green Beans from various origin like Mandheling, Toraja, Kalosi, etc.
Please let me know if you have interest.
Our China office can give you assistance for further queries
Thanks

Franciskoh

Dec 4, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
Dear members, just wonder how are the coffee roasting trade in China, are they huge? Generally how many coffee roasting plants are there in China's major cities? Thank you.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
the only major city that is famous for good coffee is Shanghai, China. I can not say how many roasting plants in that city has, but very high specialty coffee is growing extremely fast.
one of my customer is Veneziano from Australia who also has the exclusive right of buying Geisha coffee from ninetypluscoffee.com in Panama (this American owned farm produces ONLY 90 PLUS Geisha coffee for their exclusive customers). He told me that Joseph (owner of Panama Geisha farm) is selling close to a million and a half to China market (Jascafe) which is way more than any other country sales including USA.

there is a coffee show in late march in Shanghai, but due to my work here in Guatemala, i can not go, but i am planning to visit another coffee show in Shanghai in November.

Franciskoh

Dec 4, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
the only major city that is famous for good coffee is Shanghai, China. I can not say how many roasting plants in that city has, but very high specialty coffee is growing extremely fast.
one of my customer is Veneziano from Australia who also has the exclusive right of buying Geisha coffee from ninetypluscoffee.com in Panama (this American owned farm produces ONLY 90 PLUS Geisha coffee for their exclusive customers). He told me that Joseph (owner of Panama Geisha farm) is selling close to a million and a half to China market (Jascafe) which is way more than any other country sales including USA.

there is a coffee show in late march in Shanghai, but due to my work here in Guatemala, i can not go, but i am planning to visit another coffee show in Shanghai in November.
Thank you bro ensoluna for providing a peek into China market. I just wonder if it still workable in this way that we roast in our local and ship to China for distribution, maybe not Shanghai since its already flooded with excellent coffee.:???:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you bro ensoluna for providing a peek into China market. I just wonder if it still workable in this way that we roast in our local and ship to China for distribution, maybe not Shanghai since its already flooded with excellent coffee.:???:

well... nothing is impossible, however, it will be extremely difficult to sell roasted beans into China.
Better to work on green beans.
there is about 60% duty from Guatemala bean imports into China, so many of Taiwan people sell their coffee (green) via Taiwan. that means I ship the beans to Taiwan and from Taiwan, they re-rout the beans to China market with 0% duty.

Not sure what would be the duty rate from Singapore to China, but you can find out easily.

I am not certain whether you have visited to several China cities, but besides, Shanghai, you will have really tough time finding a specialty coffee shop. Mostly 99.9% are tea or Boba...etc related shops, not real coffee shops.

Franciskoh

Dec 4, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
Yes ensoluna, I totally agreed its tough to find a reasonable specialty coffee shop outside Shanghai, but population in these areas may sooner or later be cultivated to become coffee drinkers as well since the dragon is woken up.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
there is about 60% duty from Guatemala bean imports into China, so many of Taiwan people sell their coffee (green) via Taiwan. that means I ship the beans to Taiwan and from Taiwan, they re-rout the beans to China market with 0% duty.

Dang...that's quite a hefty duty charge. Is this typical of all countries exporting coffee into China? Seems like a great opportunity a black market, or at least a latte brown market....

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
yes, as far as I know, the high duty rate to China applies to most of all coffee exporting countries.
I have "heard" that one of the main reasons that Starbucks have invested their own coffee farms in Yunnan province (very closed to Thailand and Vietnam) is to supply the coffee from China farms. It has been about five years since their investment, so they must be harvesting since last year.
BTW, China has the most Starbucks after USA market.

syang

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hello Alex,
Read your post late. I had thought as of last year, China upped their shipping costs so high for coffee being send from Taiwan to China that it is now cheaper to ship from Central America to China direct. So even with 0% duty, the "shipping tariff" is sky high now!

scott

Franciskoh

Dec 4, 2014
Singapore
Visit site
Hello Alex,
Read your post late. I had thought as of last year, China upped their shipping costs so high for coffee being send from Taiwan to China that it is now cheaper to ship from Central America to China direct. So even with 0% duty, the "shipping tariff" is sky high now!

scott
Hi Scott, what is the import tax going from America to China?

syang

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I believe import duty is 8% and VAT is 18% so total 25-26% in duty/vat. We will attempt to ship direct green beans from Nicaragua to Shanghai this year instead of through Taiwan.