Coffee with or without sugar?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Have you ever known anyone who is used to using A-1 steak sauce on their steak? And they use it on a nice Porter House or Filet? OMG...it's like the same thing we're talking about in a way...just sayin'...

Yup, it's the same thing we're talking about. People should feel free to "like what they like" without other people making stupid comments or trying to change them.

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
Yup, it's the same thing we're talking about. People should feel free to "like what they like" without other people making stupid comments or trying to change them.

Unfortunately, some people in the family and friend circle ain't like that. They try to make fun of a guy who orders or prepares coffee by adding milk and sugar on it. As a result the "victim" tries to become part of the community of coffee drinkers who don't add milk and sugar in their coffees, thus compromise his own taste.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Unfortunately, some people in the family and friend circle ain't like that. They try to make fun of a guy who orders or prepares coffee by adding milk and sugar on it. As a result the "victim" tries to become part of the community of coffee drinkers who don't add milk and sugar in their coffees, thus compromise his own taste.

Unfortunately, after many years of working in cafes, I've watched it happen over and over again. I wish "the victims" would have the courage to stand up to the others and tell them they want their coffee the way they want it. Sometimes I can't take watching it happen, and I have to voice my opinion and suggest that the person should be able to enjoy his (or her) coffee the way he (or she) wants it. It's not good policy to interfere, but I just can't stand back and watch someone being bullied like that.

ScooterDog

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Even that porterhouse steak was seasoned with salt, pepper, olive oil... before grilling. Some things are added to enhance or compliment flavor.

Once in a while I will add milk to a light roasted Costa Rica single origin and I swear it pulls out a lot more chocolate notes. Maybe it's just me.

coffeetom

Jul 5, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
I drink my coffee black on the weekends when I use the really good specialty coffee.
During work, I drink about 3-4 cups of cheaper coffee. The main purpose of this coffee is to stay awake, not to sit back, relax and enjoy it. I need some milk for it because I do not enjoy it black.

My personal opinion about cream and sugar is that I would not call the fancy drinks in the store "coffee drinks" anymore when all you taste is sugar, whipped cream, added flavor and whatever else.
But it's a free world and everybody can enjoy their drinks how they want.

HOWEVER, I do not enjoy those coffee and barista-snobs that claim, their way of drinking and preparing coffee drinks is the one and only way.

Some of those third wave coffee shops here in PHX I do not go anymore because I feel very uncomfortable ordering or asking for something they don't like or 'normally' do.
Fortunately, most of the baristas I met in AZ here are very friendly and open to all beginner questions I got.

So in short: Questions about good taste should be discussed, but not be argued!

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Exactly! I hate when someone asks me first and as I tell him about my taste he starts making faces, it really disgusts me.

Can you imagine a waitress in a fancy restaurant making faces when a guest asks for something she doesn't care for?? I agree mantishugo...no tolerance for this type of behavior. Rather arrogant really...

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Have you ever known anyone who is used to using A-1 steak sauce on their steak? And they use it on a nice Porter House or Filet? OMG...it's like the same thing we're talking about in a way...just sayin'...

If I ever saw a person put A-1 on a rib eye the 1st thing that comes to my mind is the person is used to eating steaks well done and is in the habit of adding A-1 to moisten it up and add flavor that has been evaporated out by the well doneness of the steak. The 2nd thing that comes to my mind is how unfortunate it is that they never had the absolute pleasure of eating a rib eye medium rare with only salt and pepper for its seasoning. How very, very sad indeed. :-(

Len

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If I ever saw a person put A-1 on a rib eye the 1st thing that comes to my mind is the person is used to eating steaks well done and is in the habit of adding A-1 to moisten it up and add flavor that has been evaporated out by the well doneness of the steak. The 2nd thing that comes to my mind is how unfortunate it is that they never had the absolute pleasure of eating a rib eye medium rare with only salt and pepper for its seasoning. How very, very sad indeed. :-(

Len

That's funny. Once upon a time, I dated a man who was very controlling. On what turned out to be our last date, we went out for dinner, and we both ordered very expensive steak dinners. I asked for mine well done, and he made such a fuss, and he told the waitress that I wanted it medium rare, because that was the best way to enjoy that steak. To avoid a scene, I went along with it. I cut into the steak, saw the red blood, and couldn't eat any of it. He refused to let me send it back. So, it sat on the plate, and I just ate the vegetables and drank a lot of wine. There was absolutely no pleasure in that experience. And that was the last time I went out with that jerk, and he could never understand why.

Now that I'm older and wiser. No one gets away with telling me how to enjoy my food or my coffee. I like what I like, and I want it the way I want it.

Rose

3rdSpace

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
It simply depends on how you like it. For me it depends on the bean I am using wether it is a honey, natural, or washed processed coffee and it depends on what mood I am in.

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
Whether it's a cup of coffee, tea, or a glass of juice, It is best to avoid sugar in all the cases as sugar is very harmful for health. Most people don't know that sugar is processed through animal bones. Just imagine how gross it is! :eek:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Whether it's a cup of coffee, tea, or a glass of juice, It is best to avoid sugar in all the cases as sugar is very harmful for health. Most people don't know that sugar is processed through animal bones. Just imagine how gross it is! :eek:

1. almost everything is harmful for health if you over use it. as example, if you drink about 100 cups of coffee in a day, it will kill you. same for sugar, moderation is the key.

2. I did not know about the Bone Char (aka Brimac) that is being used to process sugar.
here are some fact about Brimac. made by taking cow bones, thoroughly clean and drying in the sun for min 90 days. (not vegan, but kosher certified).
then, it is HEATED 1472 F. in the absence of oxygen. (i do not know about you, but if something gets heated 1472 F. I do not think that "gross" is not a right word for it)
basically it is made of 80% calcium, 10% carbon & 10% calcium carbonate. Very porous ionic surface and loves absorbing things.

3. regards to Sugar being gross.... if you think that way, no one will be able to eat eggs.. thinking where it came out from....
By the way, most of water filters (photo #2) use bone char (brimac). it might be too gross to drink filtered water from now on.....

View attachment 5233View attachment 5234

Last edited:

ronaldlees

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I've tried syrup, but tend to go black most of the time. I like the taste of the coffee more than the sugar, unless it's bad coffee. Then I add lots of sugar. Kidding. I really don't do much sugar, but I've used naturally flavored water (lemon, lime, with no sugar) to brew coffee.