Cold Coffee?

nicholase

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I think caffeine has a more diluted taste when its cold versus when its hot. A hardcore coffee drinker i think would prefer hot over cold any day.

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I think caffeine has a more diluted taste when its cold versus when its hot. A hardcore coffee drinker i think would prefer hot over cold any day.

Cold tends to mute flavors. That's why you should make cold coffee very strong. Even stronger if you are going to add ice.

LeeDenney

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
When you brew with heat, you get not only the wonderful taste and aroma, but also some undesireable things - bitter acids and fatty oils. These undesireable elements are only soluble at high temperatures. When you cold-brew they are left behind in the coffee grounds.

So, one of the primary attractions to cold-brewed coffee is the reduced acid content. Cold brewed coffee is shown to be 67% - 70% less acidic than heat-brewed coffee. It is often recommended for people who have GERD or other stomach/digestive ailments, and is sometimes the only way they can enjoy coffee without major discomfort.

A second attraction is the smooth taste - because some of the bitter elements are not soluble at that brew temp.

Additionally, some of the caffeine is left behind - the 33% mentioned up-thread is consistent with everything I've read, too.

The doctor recommended that my father-in-law switch to cold brew, so over the past year, I've made a couple of batches just so we could try it. I did it with regular kitchen instruments, figuring I'd invest in a brewer if it was a hit.

The brewing process was kind of a pain - I dirtied several pitchers and used numerous filters. If I wanted to cold brew regularly, I'm convinced a ready-made brewer (Toddy, Filtron) would definitely be worth the investment.

As for the taste, I felt it was a little lacking (granted, two batches is not enough to really experiment with grind size, brew length and dilution). It wasn't horrible, but I like my coffee with a little bite, and the cold brew just fell flat.

What is great about this process though, is that it produces that coffee concentrate, which you dilute with hot water to make hot coffee. I am often the only coffee drinker at home, and usually just want a cup at a time. It is so easy to just take a couple of ounces of the conentrate and add hot water. No waste and no daily clean-up!

marcavanyo

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I never had cold coffee, its just so weird for me to drink a cold coffee. feels like something is missing.
And all I can say is - temperature does matter :)

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I never had cold coffee, its just so weird for me to drink a cold coffee. feels like something is missing.
And all I can say is - temperature does matter :)

You are correct. Heat enhances flavors. Cold suppresses flavors.
That's why you need to make cold coffee strong​.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I just cold brewed a batch using the toddy system. My sister the coffee snob was impressed by the smooth end product. You can reheat cold brewed coffee, but the microwave ruins the flavor profile, imo.

lw

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Marc,

One way to emphasize and make clear what you mean (when you're communicating in the written form) is to write the word in bold type and underline it. In this case, he is saying that the coffee needs to first be brewed very strong so it will have a nice flavor when you drink it cold.

Rose

rlauzon

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I just cold brewed a batch using the toddy system. My sister the coffee snob was impressed by the smooth end product. You can reheat cold brewed coffee, but the microwave ruins the flavor profile, imo.

A better way to reheat would be to add hot water to the cold coffee. That's how the Hourglass cold brew system works if you want hot coffee.