color of crema and small dots on it???

Pacificocoffee

Feb 24, 2007
San Jose Ca.
Visit site
Crema color.

It is a temp issue. I know that machine and I'm am not too fond of it.
Question, is the portafilter hot? Are you keeping it in the group after extraction, with the puck in or out? Are you running hot water over the portafilter after you knockthe puck out. I've seen some places use the water from the cold water tap to "clean" the portafilter. I've seen some places knock puck out of the portafilter clean the portafilter and then leave on the counter until the next order.
In short the portafilter must be hot, and you must not take too much time in
knocking, grinding, and tamping before you pull your shot. Taking too much time can result in the cooling of the portafilter, thus resulting in a lighter color crema. 8)

muzoon

Dec 5, 2005
Estonia
Visit site
ok here is my conclusion on my tests and try's...

small dots on my espresso appeared on each coffee i used in my blend.
dots dissapeared aprox 1-1,5 weeks after roasting. color of crema became a smoother too.

with new coffees it is the same, dots on surface of espresso and after aprox. 1 week no dots again. taste is all the time good...

i think it is fault of age... too fresh may be... (i know 1 week is not too fresh anymore but the coffee acts like that)

we tryed new good Brasil.. Fazenda Lagoa. superb... little add something for bouquet and the taste is great as an espresso...

Thanks a lott for hints and guidance guis...

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
espresso

muzoon said:
small dots on my espresso appeared on each coffee i used in my blend.
dots dissapeared aprox 1-1,5 weeks after roasting. color of crema became a smoother too.

with new coffees it is the same, dots on surface of espresso and after aprox. 1 week no dots again. taste is all the time good...

i think it is fault of age... too fresh may be... (i know 1 week is not too fresh anymore but the coffee acts like that)

It is a fault of age...when your coffee is a week or so old, you are noticing the aging effects. The flecking is not too fresh ... the LACK of fecking is becoming too old.
You lose the flecking and striping when the coffee is aged too long. The crema also becomes more blonde/beige and becomes more homogenous in color and texture as the coffee ages and loses its complexity. You are noticing the effects of age and decay and entropy. Some of the long-chain molecules created during roasting the coffee fracture as they age and break down. This is especially true of the oilds and colloidal components of the espresso. You might also notice a less flavorful taste and less "mouthfeel" / "body". It may become less chocolate-like and become more cocoa-like, or turn cardboard-like or carbon-y versus oily/creamy.