Consistency of Roast

I am in the process of writing a contract to supply a coffee shop with roasted beans. One of their concerns, since I am a small roaster, is the consistency of the beans. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to write that into an agreement? And how to assure that the consistency of the roasted beans is maintained/determined?

Thanks!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I started to suggest that you tell them that you are small but also a master of your trade. Then I read your last sentence. How long have you been roasting? Personally I would never put a clause in there about consistency. They could argue over something they do not even understand. I have been roasting for 30 years now and pride myself on consistency. My house blend has changed origins so many times I can't count and no one has ever noticed. I cup all my coffee samples and make sure they hit the notes I am looking for. The trick to consistency is repetition, taking loads of notes and tasting EVERYTHING. With time it will come. Do you keep a roasting log?

I appreciate your response. Thank you!

I have been roasting for 3 years and have the consistency down. I use computer based recipes so I know it is consistent. The owner is concerned (inappropriately) about the consistency of a small roaster. I was looking for ideas on how to demonstrate the consistency to them.

I appreciate your reply.

I appreciate your response. Thank you!

I have been roasting for 3 years and have the consistency down. I use computer based recipes so I know it is consistent. The owner is concerned (inappropriately) about the consistency of a small roaster. I was looking for ideas on how to demonstrate the consistency to them.

I appreciate your reply.
And, yes, I keep logs on every roast.