Diedrich IR2.5 LP gas pressure?

CG901

Apr 13, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Have you adjusted the High & Low flames on the Dungs Valve with an Allen Key? What happened when it broke? Zero gas flow?

I just got the Marshall high-output regulator (12-24WC), but unfortunately the Dungs valve I believe has its own regulator built into it and I'm still only able to get 11WC. I've only done 1 roast so far, but it doesn't seem to "ice" like the cheaper Charbroil regulator did...I can go down to 3 WC and back up to 11WC without it getting stuck at 9WC.

According to Diedrich tech support I should be able to run it at 13WC, but I honestly don't think they really know anything about running on a propane tank.

I think not having venting set up right now is definitely resulting it way too much airflow....is this the Variac you are looking into getting? amazon.com/Variac-Variable-Transformer-300va-Output/dp/B006NGI8VS

Are you running Artisan? What sort of Rate of Rise are you getting in the drying phase?

I'd love to stay in contact and try to sort this out together if you're game? Feel free to shoot me a PM with your email.

Take Care,
Matt

Hey Matt,
Yes, I have adjusted the Hi/Low on the Dungs valve. When I get the high over 9"WC, let's say 9.5", the low increased from 3" to 3.5", so the range seems to be set on the DUNGS mechanically.
I didn manage to get some highly improved roasts with the new DUNGS installed. The failure was that the valve stuck open and would not modulate with the Gas control knob. I could only roast with full burners.
On the Variac, yes, that Variac is what I had in mind. I also think that maintaining 50/50 withj smaller roasts like Amhas suggests is a great idea, and will try it.
I am running Artisan, but keep it on an old laptop making it more difficult to get a screen print of the roast profiles to share. I will work on that as well.
Will PM you so we can continue working on this issue.
Scott

Amhas

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey Matt,
Yes, I have adjusted the Hi/Low on the Dungs valve. When I get the high over 9"WC, let's say 9.5", the low increased from 3" to 3.5", so the range seems to be set on the DUNGS mechanically.
I didn manage to get some highly improved roasts with the new DUNGS installed. The failure was that the valve stuck open and would not modulate with the Gas control knob. I could only roast with full burners.
On the Variac, yes, that Variac is what I had in mind. I also think that maintaining 50/50 withj smaller roasts like Amhas suggests is a great idea, and will try it.
I am running Artisan, but keep it on an old laptop making it more difficult to get a screen print of the roast profiles to share. I will work on that as well.
Will PM you so we can continue working on this issue.
Scott

Scott,

Have you tried checking the air flow by feeling or testing how much flow you have from the bean sampler? You can remove the sampler just put a piece of paper up to it and note the suction. I'm told it should just have enough flow that it will cling to the paper if you hold it close. My test (all be it some time ago) with the damper in Roasting drum notch the paper was very softly drawn to the sample hole, and I mean just barely. It wouldn't hold a sheet of paper there. That was done with no beans in the roaster, which may have some impact. Not sure how scientific that is but it should give you some idea.
Happy to compare results with you if you want. Let me know how less air flow works with smaller batches. I have done small batches where I leave the damper in the cooling bin setting/notch until maybe 1c and then I may only go to 50/50.
Couple other things:
I have found that you don't have to have the damper in one of the three defined notches, but anywhere in between (can't recall if I mentioned this). When outdoor conditions are cooler I have to adjust for this and commonly don't use the roasting drum setting but rather in between 50/50 and Roasting drum until later in the roast.
My manometer doesn't go to 9 wc even thought that is what I can see on the gauge I have on my line (coming out of the wall). I get around 6.8 maximum on the manometer on my IR1. I don't really know why but no matter how much I dial up or down my NG regulator (on the house), I have not seen much if any change on the manometer on the roaster.

Todd