Equipment list for new coffee shop owners

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
*Disclaimer* This maybe a terrible Idea. HA!

Okay so I am still running through the process of putting together my equipment list in my business plan under expenses that I will need to show my investor.

I am going to do this in a way that I feel will also help people who have asked this I'm sure a million times.

I want to know what is the bare minimum for equipment and also what equipment will make you stand out.

Below I have put together a list of what I think a bare minimum is, but know I do not have any experience with owning a coffee shop. So i am looking for you CF members to change it as seen necessary. Take stuff off the list and add what is not on. For Example: ADD Espresso Machine TAKE OFF Undercounter Refridgerator. Something like that. I will keep up with this and post a final list of equipment that we have have come up with. I believe this will help a lot of people who are venturing out, like myself, in the coffee business.

Equipment List:
Of course you need an espresso machine(Look at it like your coffee shop's centerpiece)
(2) Coffee Brewers w/Airports
A Bean Grinder
An Espresso Grinder
Tea Brewer
Upright Freezer
Upright Refridgerator
An undercounter Refridgerator
Pastry Case/Display case
Ice Cube holder and maker for Iced Coffee
Blender
lots of Storage space: racks or shelves
Sinks that are necessary to pass codes and more for best performance
Wares (mugs, silverware, plates, and other serving utensils.)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
-Well I don't consider it just an espresso machine as it will be the centerpiece of your shop if you utilize it correctly. And it's not just brand name as most think. Volume needed/function, parts availability, etc. should be factored in as well. Service too for those that aren't mechanically inclined enough to tackle it.

-I can't agree with 2 drip brewers as 1 will suffice if sized properly for the task at hand.

-They're all bean grinders. Better term would be drip/bulk grinder. Also helps to have smaller volume espresso grinder for decaf.

-Can't comment positively on the tea brewer. Maybe offer looseleaf or bagged tea. Leave the volume brewed tea to restaurants as you're an intended coffeeshop.

-If you buy a decent sized/equipped icemaker it will have a built-in storage bin as part of the package. Trust me... you will want to make your own ice as it's MUCH cheaper in the long run than having to buy it.

-Blenders.... you may get by with one blender base provided it's sized properly, but you will want to have at least 4 jars/lids to keep up.

-Small wares... don't forget thermometers, 'barista' spoons, steaming pitchers of different sizes...

-Whipped cream dispensers, as it does taste much better than the canned variety as well as being all natural.

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Updated Equipment List:
Quality Espresso Machine (Consider Volume and Function of your shops sales)
1 or 2 Drip Coffee Brewers w/Airports (regarding size of brewer)
A Larger Drip/Bulk Grinder
Small Drip grinder for Decaf
An Espresso Grinder
Kettle for looseleaf/bag Tea
Upright Freezer
Upright Refridgerator
Pastry Case/Display case
Ice Maker with Storage Bin
A larger Commercial Blender
Wares (mugs,thermometers, 'barista' spoons, steaming pitchers of different sizes, silverware, plates, and other serving utensils.)
Whipped Cream Dispensers

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Does everyone agree with this:

Updated Equipment List:
Quality Espresso Machine (Consider Volume and Function of your shops sales)
1 or 2 Drip Coffee Brewers w/Airports (regarding size of brewer)
A Larger Drip/Bulk Grinder
Small Drip grinder for Decaf
An Espresso Grinder
Kettle for looseleaf/bag Tea
Upright Freezer
Upright Refridgerator
Pastry Case/Display case
Ice Maker with Storage Bin
A larger Commercial Blender
Wares (mugs,thermometers, 'barista' spoons, steaming pitchers of different sizes, silverware, plates, and other serving utensils.)
Whipped Cream Dispensers

sidg

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It looks like your list is coming together but would also suggest that you add:
water filters for the espresso machine as well as bulk brewer
grease trap (depending upon local codes)
storage units of various sizes for both out front if you are offering mix based drinks as well as storage containers for any and all food items brought into the shop to use after the seals have been broken

Last edited: