Espresso Noob - help?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I know some baristi/shops scoff at the use of thermometers, but I prefer consistency with temperature and this is where a thermometer comes into play. Especially when a customer asks for a specific temperature range or when I'm steaming milk for children. This can range from 120-180 degrees and IMO there's no way simply touching a pitcher will be nearly accurate enough for those circumstances.

*Define top notch... I've visited some well known places local to me and found it quite disappointing. Also get alot of feedback from our customers that frequent lots of shops in this state in an effort to find something better than average. These places rant about what their baristi have accomplished, then you take a sip and run looking for a turd to get the taste out of your mouth. I know this from first hand experience MANY times.

Starbucks has quite the following, but it sure as hell never shows in their drink quality. I do find it funny how bada$$ some people act when behind a bar, as if they rule the coffee world and have it all going on for them. Also find it quite hilarious when I have customers say things like "I used to be a barista so I know ________" OR when a guy said "I'm from Seattle, so I DO know what good coffee is" AND of course the occasional Italian that goes on and on about the way they do espresso. That's like me saying I'm from North Carolina so I know what good BBQ should be. Just an opinion and personal preference, nothing more...

Enough rant for the night, lmhsao!

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I usually stop when the the thermometer is around 140.

The espresso is delicious. I just ordered some online from a roastery in my state, but too far to drive, so I'm looking forward to tasting it. I think I will be saving up for a better grinder, though.

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
re: shadow, doesn't taste come into play there though? I know people who like coffee that I think tastes like crap. It baffles me, but that's the way it is. Doing things well goes a long way towards producing something of quality, but enjoyment of that seems subjective in my experience. You mention Starbucks. Case in point. Before I received this machine, I would go to starbucks. We don't have a good local alternative where I live. Now that I can produce something much better at home, I probably will not return.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Sure taste is subjective and to each his own. One problem (albeit a good one) is that there are so many quality coffees available it can be difficult to choose a handful that please the masses, in a commercial setting that is. People should understand that it's not always a problem with equipment or staff when they get a drink they don't like, as sometimes a poor choice of coffee was chosen for a particular application.

One thing I will never fully understand is brand loyalty. I have heard some say they support particular businesses even though the product or customer service is lacking. As if they feel obligated to do so even though they are never 100% satisfied. That's bull IMO!

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That makes no sense to me - brand loyalty for me would have to imply a brand I think performs well in all areas, and consequently that I would it recommend to other people.

shadow, I've been producing some (imo) pretty good foam. It is thick but the bubbles are incredibly tiny. However, it is still separate from some of the steamed milk at the bottom, and it seems too thick and sluggish when I pour it to attempt latte art. Any advice on incorporating the thinner and thicker parts better? I stick the wand all the way in at the end to bring it up to temp and incorporate, and I swish it around before pouring. Am I keeping the wand on the surface too long?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Brand loyalty should indicate 100% satisfaction in all areas, but that usually isn't the case. What I find extremely hilarious is how serious the Starbucks card carrying members are about the brand/products. Was vending at a local event, a guy ordered a drink and in front of his friend asked if he could pay with his Starbucks Gold card... I said sure, I have a pair of scissors just waiting for that card.

May seem like I'm bashing the King of Char but I am pretty damn tired of so many coffeeshops being compared to them. Most will admit they "did" alot to bring specialty coffee mainstream, but then went on to bastardize most of what they offer and now seem to be running the operation into the ground. Consumers need to wise up and realize there is MUCH better coffee available, so get out and support locally owned/operated coffeeshops.

Now that the rant is done (for now) it does sound like you're keeping the tip too close to the surface for too long and aerating a bit too much. Try submerging the tip a bit sooner than you have been to see what you end up with.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken you brought up what other shops do, so that's what started the snowball effect. I have no problem calling it like I see it whether people like it or not. Problem in the world is most are afraid to voice their opinion(s) and want to pacify every situation.

I welcome ALL naysayers as I will change their way of thinking by the end of the first cup.

Saraluna

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but I think for many people that starbucks' appeal is convenience rather than quality. If you've ever been to NYC, they're scarcely two blocks apart (however, nyc also boasts many excellent indie coffeeshops). For someone strapped for time, as so many Americans are, starbucks is never far.

However, if you're someone (like me, and I expect you as well) who enjoys coffee as more than a quickly quaffed caffeine-imparter, starbucks will ultimately not satisfy. My biggest problem with starbucks is the variation in quality. They've touted the novelty of getting the same drink, every time, from every starbucks. But this has not been the case in my experience. I've had some passable drinks, and some downright terrible ones, of the same kind from different starbucks. After a few short weeks of making my own drinks on the sylvia, I doubt I will be returning for something of lesser quality unless I am on the a trip and desperate.

I'm going to try submerging the tip sooner. I'm out of the green mountain and have ordered from the site you recommended, so I should be getting fresh espresso any day now. Excited! :] A better tamper is in transit too...

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I go more by appearance/texture than temperature in that respect, but I'd estimate 110~ degrees is what I'd aim for.

Old school wisdom is to stop stretching around the 100 degree point, but it depends on technique and desired level of aeration. I have purposely stretched milk all the way to MAX temperature and it worked out just fine.