Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee

Anamandy

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It has a wonderful scent but not much body. I received bags from two different online specialty roasters and they both were the same - wonderful scent but not much body. The second pot I made I added extra grinds to the pot and still came away wanting. I think it has to do with the fact that it is a light roast. I prefer a Columbian dark roast.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Anamandy,

Since you prefer a Columbian dark roast, it's understandable that you weren't too thrilled about the Yirgacheffe coffee. I imagine that it probably tasted like weak tea to you.

Rose

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yirgacheffe is a small coffee growing region within the province of Sidamo. So, it should not be a surprise that Sidamo and Yirgacheffe coffees have much in common. Yirgacheffe coffees are among those grown in the highest altitudes of any coffee, with some farms at over 2,000 meters above sea level. Ethiopian coffees are highly variable from year-to-year and often change greatly in flavor. This seems to be a good year for Ethiopian coffee, with many different types available. From my experience, the lighter roasts bring out the floral and berry characteristics while darker roasts accentuating chocolate, and fuller fruit flavors.

I can understand the reaction of the coffee tasting "weak" in a light roast, but when darker roasted even to Full City level, the coffee changes completely with heavier darker flavors. My suggestion is that if you are feeling the coffee is too light or weak in flavor, that if you are roasting it yourself - take it all the way to Full City, let it rest for 3-4 days, and see if that doesn't change the flavor to something more to your liking.

Unfortunately, if you don't roast your own coffee, you're sort of at the mercy of the roaster to decide what they think is "best" as they would have a hard time doing an entire batch at a different level than what they've developed the roast profile for through cupping test roasts.

sagebrushcoffee

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of new Yirgs that I'm sampling this month. I have a new dry process one that I'm really hoping is great. As soon as I sample it I'll let you know what I think.

sagebrushcoffee

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
What PNG coffee do you like? I have one that I'm selling, but it is not my favorite coffee. It is by far the best PNG I've had though. There was a long time there where I refused to even try it, because I've had so many bad experiences.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I bought the Yirg as my first offering for Shellback Coffee, I hope it works out. I love the coffee, when I can capture the brightness and the acidity on the tongue. I have also killed it and had it taste flat, as some of the other posters have noted.

Javarockscoffee

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
greetings, when you stated the first crack, i assume you mean the start of the crack, and going three minutes into the first crack?? how big a roaster due you have? i am well in the second crack at three minutes after the sound of the first crack. help me understand. thanks

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
greetings, when you stated the first crack, i assume you mean the start of the crack, and going three minutes into the first crack?? how big a roaster due you have? i am well in the second crack at three minutes after the sound of the first crack. help me understand. thanks

You're doing it wrong <smilie>.... the size of the roaster won't matter, but the control of it. Before 1C starts, start slowing down your temp rise; lower your heat input or increase airflow. During the roast, up to 1C the beans are absorbing energy - endothermic - and during 1C, they are giving off energy - exothermic. If you plow too much energy into the beans leading up to 1C, they will in essence be their own heat source and go into 2C too readily.

Javarockscoffee

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Eldub. Yirg is one of my favorite coffee. One of the best coffee I have roasted. When you roast medium light(first crack and 3 more mins after before second crack) I taste hint of chocolate, earthy, and wonderful aroma invite you to just taste it more. I have gotten consistently 95 or better on my yirgacheffe by reputable local Batista. I also love Sidamo but I have not roasted very many of them.

greetings,
a couple of questions about your post, for my clarification:
1) when you say medium roast, what profile are you shooting for, city+, or how long after your first crack begins or when it finishes.
2)you made a statement about 3 minutes after the first crack,that could put me at vienna style.

would you please clarify this for me.
thank you