Good Quality Chinese Roaster

bkeith72

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Roaster Update

OK guys, I was able to get some roast time on the 1KG Amazon last weekend and as promised wanted to provide you an update.

The build quality was very nice and solid. Service panels where they should be and the control panel has been updated with a better UI and digital read out.
The thermometer on the front read differently than the thermocouple that was attached to the control panel. I traced the wire from the control panel and it looks like it sits in the bean mass, definitely more so than the thermometer on the front.

There are two heaters positioned about 10:00 and 2:00 on the roaster drum. The drum has fins inside and seems to have enough rotation to keep the beans moving nicely.
The trier works well and its very easy to grab a few beans to see how the roast is coming along. I didnt use the timer function as it just seemed to be a timer and nothing else, not tied to heat or power or anything so I just used my separate timer.

There is a handle to adjust the roaster air with little markings so you can track and document the levels of air at various steps along the way in the roast. Same goes for the cooling tray air.

Dumping the roast was easy and the stirrer worked pretty well too except the the rectangle pusher bar broke a few beans as it was spinning. This would work better with a brush or bristle type pusher. Beans cooled in about 2-3 mins, easy to dump from the cooling tray.

I roasted 1lb and the first roast started at 205C and incrementally increased the temp from there along the roast process. Overall the entire 1lb roast took about 22mins. The consecutive 1lb roasts started at 265C and took about 17mins. It was a little tricky to hear FC but it was there. Not sure how much you can get over 1lb and still be under 20mins but I would be worried about baking any batch over 1.5lbs. The heater can be adjusted to 320C but thats probably hotter than you want to run it anyway.

Please let me know if there is anything I missed or if you have any other questions.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Is drum made out of stainless steel ?
Is it easy to clean out the chaff?
What was the end up costing you for the roaster, shipping and custom?
Was it easy to import yourself or did you have to use the third party to help out clear the custom?

Thanks

bkeith72

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is drum made out of stainless steel ?

The drum appears to be stainless to me. But you can see the detailed photos in ebay listing# 261159931510

Is it easy to clean out the chaff?

Chaff was super simple to clean out. There is a chaff drawer on the right rear that you just pull out using a handle and tap it clean.

What was the end up costing you for the roaster, shipping and custom?

I haven't purchased one yet but the importer who brought it over is charging $2695 + shipping if you buy through ebay. There might be a little flexibility on the price if you contact him directly.

Was it easy to import yourself or did you have to use the third party to help out clear the custom?

The importer I worked with took care of the entire importing process including customs. I assume he would do the same for anyone else interested in getting one and as I understand it he has 10 more enroute which should be hitting the docks in Los Angeles in the next few weeks.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
this roaster is in use all around asia and known to be very reliable. And the price is just absolutely out of site.... I was able to contact them through alibaba They are re-designing the bigger roaster since they were having some type of issues. And it will be on production around end of Feb.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
I don't mean to pick on this machine but there are a few things that cause me concern. It's under powered at 110v; 17 min for roasting 1lb is too slow. What about roasting the listed capacity? Every other commercial electric roaster runs at 220v, and that's what they use in China. A very simple question to ask the manufacturer: "Can you roast 1K in 15min or less to second crack". Heck can you roast a lb is less than 15min to 2C?

How do you grease the front bearing? Parts? How fast can the factory ship parts to the US? Do they speak English at the factory?

3K is not a steal on this roaster; it's just the going price in China. My 500g Taiwan roaster can roast full capacity in 13 minutes or 227 grams with the thermocouple reading the bean temp; and it cost me 3K with shipping.

Anyone can import roasters; diagnosing and repairing them is another story.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
this is the same roaster that is for sale on Ebay for 2600 including the shipping. They do have english speaking rep so i assume you can get parts from them if you need any. 17 min bit slow but it really depends on how much of roasting you are looking to finish. If you are commercial user, I don't know if this roaster is going to be your answer but as a home roaster, this would be great alternative to roasters like Sonofresco, or other smaller home appliance type of roaster.....