Good quality espresso maker on a budget??

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
No one said that. Italian is typically 5-10% robusta for the crema. Peter and I have cupped a R-certified robusta from India that was good in a press pot with half and half. I personally didn't care for the zip in it, even though it didn't resemble most low grown robusta.

During my visits to Italy I have tried a lot of coffee and I'm very confident that many blends contain a lot more than 5-10% robusta. Many very well known brands quote 50%+ for some of their blends.

This website offers some useful information about blend structure when you click on certain blends: www.aromatico.co.uk

Last edited:

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
During my visits to Italy I have tried a lot of coffee and I'm very confident that many blends contain a lot more than 5-10% robusta. Many very well known brands quote 50%+ for some of their blends.

This website offers some useful information about blend structure when you click on certain blends: www.aromatico.co.uk

sounds like you tried a lot of coffee from different source. lets talk about the "buzz". so the ones you suspected to have a lot robusta, they also happened to have a more powerful pleasant buzz too?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site

I am not trying to be argumentative, but while Italy may be the birth place of espresso, that does not translate into Italy being the reference gold-standard on espresso.

BoldJava

Jul 29, 2006
St Paul, Minnesota
Visit site
Mr Hoffmann has put a lot of thought into that...
Lever groups have been around a long time, fortunately they are making a bit of a comeback it seems.
Personally, I think the time for a modern lever group machine has come - there are a few things I think could be improved?

I am aware of a shop who had a beautiful Dutch lever machine. Owner couldn't get a barista "to take charge, to own it," and it fell into disuse. Takes an artisan who wants to take the time to learn it and master it.

We will be out in Seattle for the SCAA conference and I already have 3 shops with levers on the list as "must visits."

BoldJava

Jul 29, 2006
St Paul, Minnesota
Visit site
sounds like you tried a lot of coffee from different source. lets talk about the "buzz". so the ones you suspected to have a lot robusta, they also happened to have a more powerful pleasant buzz too?

I think we all process caffeine a bit differently. I enjoy the mild stimulation of a quality arabica but didn't care for the higher amount of caffeine in the R-certified robusta (immaculate, high grown) coffee from India, referenced above. The remainder got incorporated at 5% blend into espresso pulls.

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've never experienced a powerful, pleasant buzz from drinking coffee. I must not be doing something right.

you might've been. instead of just accepting your normal coffee is the best it can get, why not explore? you never know what you are missing unless you try. i'm not saying you'll get as much "buzz" as much from the same thing but you may, but you need to take into account everyone also has a different biochemistry, that one can't change.

but just from different ground brands i noticed big differences. some brew coffee just didn't make me felt good and made me felt crappy and i followed their instruction and all.

i used tol gdt a phenomenal "buzz" from an instant brand years back and i thought all coffee was this good. this stuff made me super euphoric and creativity and i was able to easily do math like i was a super computer. and this went on everyday for years as long as i used it without any signs of decreased effect due to some theoritical tolerance buildup or something.

i know people that never gotten such an experience from coffee would feel this is surreal. but it was just this one brand that held the secret, i don;t know what it was but since the brand went to hell, the secret seem to die with them.

thats when i started trying brew coffee and man that stuff sucks in comparison. hard to compare but if i have to say, the buzz is like 25% of what i used to get which is darn shame and unacceptable to me.

Last edited:

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
I am not trying to be argumentative, but while Italy may be the birth place of espresso, that does not translate into Italy being the reference gold-standard on espresso.

Couldn't agree more! They also use long life milk for cappuccino with its sweet aftertaste, rarely clean the groups as they should and make grinding plates last for years! Older machines are commonplace and people often tend to stick to one variety of coffee? One village will argue with the next about the slight difference in the shape of their pasta! Ain't saying they're perfect but when one talks about Italian espresso...
One should be careful when applying a "gold standard" to espresso - it means so many things to so many people. We have seen a growth in single variety 100% arabica coffee being used in espresso - a good thing, an interesting development. I've also seen a lot of people shudder when they drink it! If you are used to drinking an Italian style espresso then you will probably find it quite a challenge.
I love the fact that there is a trendy coffee bar in most towns now where "today's special" is an espresso with a rich aroma of cold bacon with a pecan aftertaste where other coffees can be tried but that for me isn't "Gold Standard" either? Ask my mother and her friends if they'd like a latte made with a double shot of that blend next time they come into your cafe and they will try it. They won't complain (because they are British and we aren't very good at that - we save it for Forums!) but will they come back again next week for another - hell no.
There are a miriad of different coffees to explore, blended or otherwise and I am sure there is a Gold Standard Kenya Peaberry somewhere... If you're looking for Gold Standard espresso I simply think you are wrong to rule out blends that include robusta - most like it that way I'm afraid.

Listen, we've come a long way and isn't it great that a handful of beans can get people so wound-up!

One last thing, what the hell is the "Buzz" everyone keeps going on about? If I drink too much coffee I feel sick? I might even get a headache? But I've not had anything I could describe as a buzz? Perhaps I should be smoking coffee or inhaling it? Please don't tell me that I have to chew Kopi Luwak!

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Best Caffeine Buzz Comes After Withdrawal

maybe this would clue people in who don't get it. i think they were referring to brew coffee which has never really been that psychoactive to being with anyways.

i mean if people are less sensitive to even brew coffee, they are. i heard people who were not affected by coffee at all, something to do with unique metabolism/biochemistry i guess.

i mean the quality instant i spoke of seem like it had the power of illegal drugs but none of the big negatives of them. otherwise since i been using that for years, i probably have been dead long ago. now how is that so good? is that even coffee or coffee formulated in just a different way?

no one seems to know....

Last edited:

DorothyGonzalez

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I casually browse around and seen some like $100,$300,$600. geez….I’m not willing to pay that kinda money for espresso now, not even sure if it’s worth it.

I beg to disagree with this, because there are some coffee makers that are cheap but the quality are still the best. You just need to find a trustworthy store/online store to buy the best one. Cheers!!! :coffee:

mars

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I think you would be satisfied with a dark roast pour over . Drip coffee has more caffeine than espresso but to me it seems you crave the dark roast flavor and the darker the roast the weaker the caffeine . Perhaps look into a toddy as well .

katy2

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
i ve read all the replies, i think if you only want a coffee in the morning i think it will be enough for you to buy a simple low budget coffee maker. i love coffee but as you do i m not a professional barista too so i ve bought a low budget coffee maker and it works pretty well, i don t know your tastes, so i can t suggest you buying or not buying something. as guys here have advised u, you can really go to the cafe try there coffee and ask barista what is there coffee machine. also i can suggest you reading 10 Best Home Espresso Machine Reviews ? TOP Choice and then it will be easier for you to choose the coffee machine!