green coffee beans cost per pound

bmmsense

Jan 17, 2023
conneticut
Visit site
How much should I expect to pay per pound for green coffee beans from Central American origins such Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras? I know there can be quite the variation, but was looking for some insight on how much is too much.

Does the price rise per pound if the coffee is Fair Trade, Organic or Shade Grown?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
It depends on 1) qty of purchase 2) quality or cupping score 3) process .... for quality specialty grade buying in smaller quantities (less than a sack). Can you add any context?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
You can go with 'bag ends' for maybe $3/lb and might end up with something quite good, but definitely not repeatable. You can also get roped in to the high grade/organic/blah blah blah stuff and expect to shell out $15/lb or more. I personally don't get roped into scores, Internet hype, that sort of thing. I know after tons of experimenting what origins I like and will take a natural/dry process over pretty much anything else available and I always buy from trusted/reputable sources. Lots of green sellers out there, but I prefer Sweet Maria's, Burman's and occasionally Happy Mug. Notes I end up with for my preferred level of development strongly matches what I read from Sweet Maria's notes and I definitely take that into consideration.