Green to roasted weight

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
When we get in a new supply of beans I like to roast a test batch to a few different levels by pulling samples with the trier and cooling them down quickly in the freezer. I do like to let the lighter roasts degas for a couple of days before cupping, so I'll usually pull big enough samples to allow for immediate cupping by myself and then again in a few days when our cupping panel convenes. This process allows me to find the sweet spot of every batch of beans with input from others.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Eldub, I'm definately going to be using your pulling samples from the trier method. Can't believe I've never thought of that! What a great way to get multiple roast level samples from one roast.

I'd ask eldub if he feels it would require a certain size roaster, hence a decent sized tried, to pull that off. The trier on my 2 kilo roaster just wouldn't do. I never weighed how much is in each pull of the trier, but if it took 5 pulls and perhaps a full minute to get enough to cup, it wouldn't be much help. During some stages of the roast the temps are rising fast enough over a minute that I don't think it would be representative.

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I also have a 1lb Dietrich roaster and have a similar concern with getting enough of a sampling at a certain time/temp! Of course it's anew machine for me and I'm still getting used to it. What would be an adequate sampling size for cupping?

jj0189175

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
This is great dialogue....I did have a question on when you should cup your samples. Is there a typical period (24 hours) one should wait to get the full flavor?

thanks!

As a complete newbie just starting to think about roasting his own beans, what do you do with the beans directly after the roast? Do you put them right into a vented bag upon cooling, or keep them somewhere else?