Growing your own Coffee trees.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought 6 small coffee trees from the local greenhouse. After 2 years (4 left) they got some kind of disease and died. I even took them back to have them looked at and all they could tell me was to maybe fertilize more, get a hydroponic light source and pray. Well, I didnt go for the light and they just died a slow death. The climate in Canada is not good for growing these as our light in winter months isn't that great and you can't sit them close to a window because it is so cold. I think next time I'm in Costa Rica I will try to have a larger one exported and see if that helps.
Brian

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
If anyone is interested in my young trees, drop me a private message. I can also include instructions for care.
As long as they arent below 40*F and get a reasonable amount of light, they will survive. Growth will be slow, but they will survive.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Way cool pictures! thank you for sharing them! I think that growing trees like this would be cool, and Jasmin is one of my favorite smells!

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Growing these trees has been very rewarding. As we get ready to move, I will need to find them new homes.
Might as well get something for my time and effort and sell them.

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
LOL. Awesome. I will update the tree pics and send info to you. I think it might be best to save shipping expense and send the trees with only a sample of their soil.
I will provide detailed instructions as to what to do upon arrival and how to care for your new family member.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Great.

No soil is really needed. Wrapping the rootball in moist paper towels and then placing the roots in a ziplock bag with a rubber band holding it in place should do the trick.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Uhmmm... This guy just got the cups... I think he's doing it wrong...

tree-cups-ecard-funny-e.jpg

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
I think I'll just stick to drinking a good coffee without the labor of having to grow my own. I'm sure it is rewarding, but just not for me. Good luck.
Tending to plants is not for everyone. Growing coffee outside of the coffee belt is an experiment in patience. If it werent for the billions of coffee drinkers in the world, I doubt this forum would even exist. Are there more than 25 people on here that 'grow' coffee? Hence I am not surprised.

For those that are intrigued, please read on.

I dont seem to be getting alerts about new posts. I have been very busy the last few months given holidays, travel, etc. Sorry for the delay in updates. I still have a few trees available and will update with new pics as I get caught up.

Interesting news. One of my larger trees may be about to flower. It is 3 years old. I have not heard of a coffee tree flowering this soon this far from the equator. Below is a picture. Fingers crossed. There is a lot of new growth that seems like a budding of blooms. <Excitement>

2013-02-06 14.15.29_first blossoms.jpg

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi CJevens

That's exciting news! I also thought it took 5 years for the coffee plant to flower. I wonder how old it was when you bought it.

I hope you'll show us pictures when it flowers.

I've yet to get a decent camera so I can take a photo of my coffee plant. But I have a couple of years to go before I can even dream of seeing a flower.

Good luck.

Rose

CJevens

Apr 18, 2011
Arlington, Va
Visit site
Rose, This is exciting news indeed. I am going to try to set up a time lapse camera to capture the bud development and flowering.
I am sure you know someone with a decent camera that can visit and take a pic for you. All of these pictures were taken with my Android phone. Proper lighting and patience are all that is needed. The close up shots are cropped from the high resolution original. In the camera settings I select the largest picture possible. This enables me to zoom in assuming the pic is in focus.

Looking at the new growth closely, there is no mistaking this for a flowering. Now the key is to water and feed properly to keep the plant happy.

This is my third year of ownership. I took possession of this and a few other trees three years ago this July/August. Assuming they were 3-6 months old when I got them, they should be 3 years old now.

I have kept them watered and feed them regularly. They live outside once there is no threat of temps below 40*F. Inside they are in a southern facing window with a couple high powered grow lamps to supplement lesser exposure to the Sun's life giving rays in winter.

I am moving soon, so I plan to sell all of my avocado and Coffee trees.

2013-02-08 12.20.15_Buds close.jpgCherry buds_Close_2_10_13.jpg2013-02-08 12.19.33.jpg