Help me master my morning brew

tmcc

Apr 14, 2014
Texas
Visit site
Sounds like some serious coffee stuff going on here. How about a K-cup? Don't shoot...! I'm just a casual coffee drinker. Not a connoisseur.

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
I've never had any coffee from a Keurig. I guess I'll have to try it someday but people I know that have them admit they do it more for variety and convenience than actual good coffee.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I've never had any coffee from a Keurig. I guess I'll have to try it someday but people I know that have them admit they do it more for variety and convenience than actual good coffee.

Investing any money on K-cup would be big mistake. Do not go that route. The Mokka pot is one of the best way to brew your coffee with very little investment.

This is what I would do to have consistent result.

it will be pain in the ass at first but this will give you perfect cup everytime.

1. Measure the quantity of coffee
2. Measure the water level (exact level)
3. Heating time. On your stove top use the timer to set how long you boiled the water and see when it starts to brew and how long
4. resting time.

if you add milk, make sure to measure the temperature of milk before adding.

If you follow this exactly the same each time, you will most likely to have the perfect cup you are after.

Good Luck

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Investing any money on K-cup would be big mistake. Do not go that route. The Mokka pot is one of the best way to brew your coffee with very little investment.

To clarify, I would NEVER buy a Keurig. But, I have passed on trying a cup from friends before. I'll have to try it sometime from one of them is what I meant. Look at the previous posts and you will see I have a Mokka pot. :)

But to me, the Chemex is my daily brew method until I find something I like better.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I have upped my game finally. I bought a cheap burr grinder and a French press, as well as a metal screen filter for my drip machine, which I use on work mornings. The French press coffee is fantastic! I know I have to upgrade the grinder but that will have to wait a while. Just using the metal filter on the auto drip makes a huge difference.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
the most important thing about the best coffee experience is having a fresh coffee ground (less than 4 hours after you grind the beans). then, having a fresh and good beans. (after you roast green beans, it is only really good for few days, a week or so) which means either you need to buy your own green beans to roast or know the local roasters to get most freshly roasted beans as possible. Also find your favorite beans, such as Antigua Guatemala, Ethiopian, Sumatra...etc and stick with it.
brewing wise, better to use French Press, or hand press rather than coffee machine.
you can find all kind of educational infos from youtube. Enjoy and Keep everything Fresh.

CPooley4

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My perfect cup:

1. Pour over Hario V60
2. Water via brita pitcher
3. Freshly roasted coffee from my FreshRoast SR 500 (14 grind setting on Baratza Encore)
4. 1 oz of coffee to 16 oz of H2O
5. Bloom the coffee with about 1 oz of H2O (let sit for about 45 secs)
6. Begin pour and when saturated stir (while still pouring)
7. Continue nice, slow, continuous pour (in to out motion with kettle) until hit proper water amount (use a scale while pouring)
8. Stir again once hit water amount and let drain
9. Enjoy

Last edited: