Hi I'm new

bob8619

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Take it easy on me please. I'm new to the world beyond folgers and a $20 drip coffee machines. I bought a french press recently and I have a burr grinder. I just bought some locally roasted coffee that was roasted today. My method is bring the water to 200 degrees then pour it in the pot. I then stir it for a few turns and then place the lid on. 4 minutes later, I press.
Two questions:
1. If I pour the water into the press and it does not get any foam, am I doing something wrong?
2. Sometimes I just want a cup so I use 8 ouces of water and 2 scoops (the scoop came with the french press) of grounds, I often think that it seems watery when done this way. Does the steeping process work better when making larger amounts? I figured it would work the same as long as the ratio stays the same.

Thanks guys!

Bob

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Welcome Bob. You should get good results with your new purchases. I think you may be onto something about steeping with more amount. I seem to have better results with brewing16-36 oz. than I do with one or 2 cups. I use a Chemex everyday, but I have used presses many times. When I use a press or brewing pourover, I use this formula. Fluid ounces divided by 269 x 16 = amount of coffee used in ounces. I forgot where I heard of this formula, but it seems to work well. Don't ask me what the 269 stands for, but the 16 is oz. in a lb. Your two scoops may be watery, because 2 scoops is recommended for 6oz. It is practice(trial and error!). As I said you will get better results for sure. You may have to change your grind coarseness too. Your water temp is fine. I know many will stir in the beginning, I only stir after coffee is brewed(my opinion only). With fresh roasted coffee you will or should get some foam, more coffee more foam. I like to wet the ground coffee, let sit for 20-30 sec. then add water. I know tomorrow is Saturday and you are looking forward to brewing your fresh roast, but as a roaster I would let it rest 48-72hrs. after roast. I find better results. The standard is 24 hrs. but I say longer(my opinion). For the best brewed coffee-practice!-practice!-practice! I am still working on it!
Happy Brewing!
Another Bob

bob8619

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Bob! They also told me to wait 48 hours or so, but I couldnt! I made another pot this time using 16oz and 4 scoops. It came out much better but still not too much of a bloom. Of course, my idea of what a bloom looks like is based off of a video I saw on YouTube, for all I know that bloom was bigger than the average bloom. Tomorrow I will try your technique of wetting the grounds before adding all the water.
The coffee will still rest even though I opened the bag right? I didn't ruin the bag by dipping into it early did I?

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Yes, it will still rest. Just secure the bag as good as you can. Keep out of sunlight. Cool and dark is a good practice. Blooms will vary. Sometimes I will get a bloom inside a bloom!
The blooms will be better to view with an open pour over method, such as Chemex, Hario, or Melitta etc. That is where, when you wet the grinds(more toward the center),
and allow 30 secs. before pouring, fresh roasted coffee will bloom nice. Now that you have the coffee bug. You will add more paraphernalia to your repertoire! And they say only coffee is addictive! My wife is a saint bearing up with my collection!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello Bob,

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

You're among friends here. We've had lots of new members who joined us because they needed some guidance using their French Presses.

It takes a lot of practice to get the coffee to come out the way you like it. But once you do, you'll be very happy that you took the time and effort to get it right.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Bob,

I am glad you are find the secret of true coffee flavor.
Good coffee should not be bitter, sour or need cream or sugar unless you like it that way.

You should taste full of natural flavor, some are complex and give you smile when you get that first sip.

That is how i view my cup of coffee.
Having to try a new single origin coffee is like going on a first date. ;)