Home-built roasting drum

georgel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I have built drums in the past. I used A fairly heavy SS mesh. But no where near 1/4 inch. It worked well but I had problems keeping beans from leaking out of the "door" it depended partly on which direction it was rotating.. I had good luck preheating to 500* F. Then loading the beans. [1#] I went to 1c and timed 3.5 min. after 1 C. which was at the start of 2C. and got FC+ which I find to be a good intermediate roast. as I like a sweet rather than a bitter roast. The roast varies with the bean the ambiant temp. the humidity and possibly the phase of the moon. I have talked with My local green bean supplier who is a roaster and blender on a commercial scale and she agrees as to the variations in the result. It is an art and one worth cultivating.
I do not use a BBQ. I use a modified Showtime Chicken rotisserie. When I started using one about 7 years ago I had never heard o anyone doing it. Now I can buy a ready made drum designed to fit it. Or adapt a Behmor drum. which I have done. I Insulate the unit and put seals around the door. It works quite well with a 1# roast. The drum would handle larger amounts but I find 1# a convenient roast size.
I roast one batch every 4 to 6 days. I like to let the roast rest for ~2 days before brewing and the flavor gets bettor for a few days then falsl off. Each batch is different. + I change beans depending on what is available in my local suppliers latest shipment.

Last edited:

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
I am designing the roaster roast up to 10 lbs at a time. The drum is 8X24, and my current challenge is finding a used grill big enough. I bought a used ice cream maker at the thrift shop yesterday for 15 bucks, and will use that motor (at least until it burns out). Flying by the seat of the pants here, but having fun doing it! My goal is to be roasting on the new unit by Xmas.

georgel

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
sounds like a fun project. My earliest coffee roasting was with a cast iron pan. back in the mid 70's when GB first became available in Seattle. My first roaster was with a rotisserie and a table top electric "BBQ" . A 10# roast will be a challenge. I have times and temps for my setup in hand but they differ slightly with each roast. I set up a whole animal rotisserie 2 years ago to do a whole lamb. I used the motor from a hardtop convertable that showed up at a local architectural salvage place. Good luck

Latest posts