How do you guys store your coffee beans?

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
I use an AirScape canister. I go through a bag pretty fast once opened and I don't generally have more than one bag open at a time so I don't have a real storage issue. I do find the AirScape canister easy to use and even easier than re-using the original bag.

montre

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I use ceramic airtight jar to store my coffee. It has plastic gasket which seals the coffee aroma and prevents the oxygen from entering. My one piece of advice for you all is to keep your coffee away from light and heat, and it would be nice if you store whole beans rather than ground coffee because whole beans stay fresh much longer.

Zimmy

Dec 19, 2013
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I keep them in their original bag if it is a solid color and light cannot pass through... roll top sown squeezing all of the air out of the bag... seal and place in cool dry place... AKA one of my cupboards... I use coffee quickly so this setup works great... The problem with some air tight containers/canisters is that you are trapping air within the container... This air will continue the oxidation process inside the container...

If you need to keep it longer you can freeze it but use the same basic principles... Air tight, solid container... you still don't want it exposed to light... I have been experimenting with freezering coffees and I find that a month in the freezer acts similar to a week in the cupboard... So far it seems like a solid ratio of 1month:1week for freezer:cupboard...

If you do freezer your coffee, pre-weigh single doses for cups or pots so you don't disturb all of it each time you go in for some as opening the bag will make temperature and humidity within the bag fluctuate... Also no need to defrost :)... The 30 seconds it will take you to go from the freezer to grinder is more than enough time...

Cheers!

Last edited:

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
How do you guys store your coffee beans to keep them fresh and flavorful? Is there a special kind of container you guys use or is it ok to keep them in the bag they come packaged in? Thanks

I have a Food Saver, vacuum seal my own bags of of beans in the freezer, in small quantity to last about one week, pull out of freezer 2 days before opening bag so cold beans can warm up and won't collect moisture.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I use a food saver with the plastic bags, but there is an attachment for ball canning jars.
It's a cheap one V420 and going on 4 years; out of production though.
Still works but the pump is slowing down.

WebRestaurant has the Ary VacMaster Pro110 for 59.99; think I'll get that one next
or the Sinbo DZ-280 snorkel which uses mylar bags, runs @99$

Same here, Food Saver bags are a thousand times better than any zip lock bag and the vacuum seal is terrific! Just freeze what I might come close to using within 1 week, remove from freezer 1-2 days before opening or else moisture will cling instantly to cold beans, allow to reach room temp before opening.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I keep them in their original bag if it is a solid color and light cannot pass through... roll top sown squeezing all of the air out of the bag... seal and place in cool dry place... AKA one of my cupboards... I use coffee quickly so this setup works great... The problem with some air tight containers/canisters is that you are trapping air within the container... This air will continue the oxidation process inside the container...

If you need to keep it longer you can freeze it but use the same basic principles... Air tight, solid container... you still don't want it exposed to light... I have been experimenting with freezering coffees and I find that a month in the freezer acts similar to a week in the cupboard... So far it seems like a solid ratio of 1month:1week for freezer:cupboard...

If you do freezer your coffee, pre-weigh single doses for cups or pots so you don't disturb all of it each time you go in for some as opening the bag will make temperature and humidity within the bag fluctuate... Also no need to defrost :)... The 30 seconds it will take you to go from the freezer to grinder is more than enough time...

Cheers!

I swear by Food Saver, the bags are engineered to prevent air or moisture passing through bag skin, the vacuum removes virtually all air. I keep meat for up to three years in a freezer and it is fine. IMHO the best way to store due to low oxygen levels, when done correctly these bags stay vacuum tight and are also customizable as far as size.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Don't you feel when you put the actual bean in the freezer, you are losing to much of flavor? Also you would see more oily bean then you normally wouldn't.

Food Saver vacuum sealing is da bomb, even if you don't freeze, keep in refrigerator, in cupboard or freezer, these bags are tight and solid, the bag is hard after sealing and if done correctly stay that way. I don't see any visual difference before or after, and to me the taste is the same, but keep in mind I do lattes and not pure espresso. But I cannot for the life of imagine that for economical reasons, buy a big bag and store in Food Saver vacuum sealed bags, any way that works for you - cupboard, refrigerator or freezer, these bags are air tight, and can hold a vacuum for three years. Just know that if you do freeze, you must allow the beans to come to room temp completely or the cold beans will immediately collect surface moisture upon opening the vacuum bag!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I never vacuum seam my bag since I roast often or buy from my other roaster if I get lazy. I always thought storing whole bean in the freezer was bad idea. I guess we all learn something from others.... thanks

mholguin

Apr 1, 2014
New Mexico
Visit site
I keep my fresh beans in the bag them came in. I make sure to let all the air out and seal tightly. Once used I store in the cabinet so no light and moisture hits the beans and I've noticed they last longer.