How many black coffee drinkers out there?

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
I came to prefer my coffee black almost against my will.

Years ago, my wife and I both drank our coffee with milk. When we decided to participate in a weight management program, at the nearby medical university, the diet excluded all dairy products for the first thirty days. We thought not having milk in our coffee was the greatest deprivation of the program. Barbaric! By the end of the thirty days, we were enjoying our coffee black, but eagerly looking forward to the day we could again have milk in it. When that great day finally came, we were both amazed that we did not like the coffee with milk at all, but much preferred it black.

Undoubtedly, had we persisted in drinking our coffee with milk for a few days or weeks, our taste would have adjusted back to preferring our coffee with milk. But, why do that? When you have come to really like and appreciate the taste of the coffee unadulterated, why go back?

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
It's really interesting to know how many people drink black. I always find most people have milk with espresso.

I know in Italy, fine coffee is not appreciated by adding either sugar or milk.

I would love to drink my coffee black. It would mean less calories and less milk in my diet.

I agree, I think you have to have really nice tasting espresso to enjoy black.

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
I take two cups of coffee every day. Most of the times, I prefer coffee with milk. But when I take black coffee, I limit my intake to just one cup a day (usually when I go to office.)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I can't help but wonder why so many people are interested in knowing how other people like their coffee.

Is it a status thing? Do you think people who drink it black are at a higher level of coffee appreciation than those who add milk and sweeteners?

Why do you care?

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I think that for a long time it has been a status thing, maybe starting in the John Wayne era. Back then it was kind of a macho thing. John Wayne was a renowned black coffee drinker. Drinking coffee black way back then when coffee was probably really bad was pretty macho, and he personified macho. Now its turned its head; has nothing to do with macho. I think it is more of the coffee cupping "I taste blackberries; sponge cake with currants; fruit loops" California coffee crowd thing that is driving it all. So in a nutshell it has "evolved" from a he man thing to a hoity toity kind of thing.

To be honest, I am pretty sure that John Wayne wouldn't want anything to do with it!

Len

Last edited:

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think that for a long time it has been a status thing, maybe starting in the John Wayne era. Back then it was kind of a macho thing. John Wayne was a renowned black coffee drinker. Drinking coffee black way back then when coffee was probably really bad was pretty macho, and he personified macho. Now its turned its head; has nothing to do with macho. I think it is more of the coffee cupping "I taste blackberries; sponge cake with currants; fruit loops" California coffee crowd thing that is driving it all. So in a nutshell it has "evolved" from a he man thing to a hoity toity kind of thing.

To be honest, I am pretty sure that John Wayne wouldn't want anything to do with it!

Len

Hadn't really considered the "John Wayne" factor until now, but I know that he lived in Newport Beach, so I know he did appreciate the finer things in life which were afforded by the rugged cowboy image of the man. I can almost sense that he would have been in line at Starbucks along with all the others, save that his celebrity would have made that almost impossible. I do agree with your assessment where the prevailing attitude in his time was that real men drink their coffee black, and would add that it be harsh enough to dissolve a spoon. Now about coffee tasting like spongecake with currants...YUCK...ewwww...blaaaaa...

Peaberry

coffeewheel

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps Black is a finer play of flavor!

Sour grape bad espresso is bad with either black or with milk & sugar, but I wish i had the disipline to drink it without milk!
I think black espresso is bit like scotch, you can have it with ice or coke etc However if you drink a top notch scotch straight, you really enjoy it! The sensations, the experience lingers, and I think if I really got into the habit of enjoying my coffee black, I would be enjoying :heart:the finer play of flavors

Chipster67

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Typically have Coffee and Heavy Whipping Cream, it's a low carb thing. I've even done Coffee and Non salty grass fed butter in a blender. But today I had my first ever single shot of espresso from $tarbucks, but I also got a cappuccino as well. The espresso wasn't that bad, a bit bitter but not too bad, the cappuccino was meh. Nothing special not my typical drink but figured why not try to broaden my horizon and give something else a try.
I started out drinking Carmel Machiattos maybe 19 years ago in college, but haven't had one in a long time, far too sweet for me now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steenway45

Aug 19, 2015
Carbondale, CO
Visit site
I used to not be able to stand drinking black coffee but eventually I found the right cup of joe and it clicked. Now, it's typically always black but I do occasionally like a splash of milk to help thicken things up a bit. :)