How to make a coffee without an automatic machine?

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
There is the french press and the aeropress. The french press mainly uses a metal press and the aeropress can use one. typically it uses a paper filter but can also use a metal mesh if you want.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I used to use a French Press, until I found out that it can raise your cholesterol. I've switched to an AeroPress, that uses a paper filter but you can get a reusable stainless filter although I suspect that will result in a lot of the medical issues I've found with the French Press.

ronaldlees

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
You'll need to do some research, but to get you started, here is an example of a pour over coffee maker that has a reusable filter: Amazon.com: Coffee Dripper Stainless Steel By Marvellissimo - Reusable Pour Over Filter Cone with Double Layer Fine Mesh for Large Single Serve Cup (1-4 Cups): Kitchen & Dining
Have used the pour-over coffee makers for a while, and they're OK in a pinch, but it's hard to pour the water slowly enough to make a tasty cup! I think steeping or dripping devices do a better job. Mine has a metal filter, but I always stuff a paper filter down on top of it.

streem26

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Fill a pan with water and turn on the heat. When the water's boiling, add your coffee (two tablespoons) Kill the heat immediately, cover the pan, and wait until all of the grounds settle at the bottom — it will take four to five minutes. Just slowly pour the coffee off the top or ladle it into cups, and you're all set.

javanize.me

Mar 21, 2016
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Hi,

The reason why they don't do teaball for coffee is because the coffee doesn't exactly extract the same way as tea. Coffee beans are burned not fresh. Also because of that, the extraction process is a bit different. If you would just put the coffee in a teaball, you would probably end up with the bitter and burn side of the taste and overly earthly and rought.

There is quite a science in brewing coffee in order to get the most of the flavour and mitigate the burned taste. This goes with the quality of beans, the temperature of the water, the concentration of coffee per portion of water, and the process. All these influence the taste a lot. You can brew a cup of coffee with the best beans on the planet, if you use too hot water, you will end up with a bitter cup.

I don't know if you are the kind who like to explore or if you are only looking for the most simple way to brew your coffee. I will try to cover both so you can find what is best for you.

Overall, a general rules is to not use Boiling water. Wait 30-45 seconds after you remove the pot from heating before pouring the water. (the temperature should drop by 10-15°F, so it should be around 195-205°F which is good temperature to not overheat your coffee grind.

We usually stay under 60g / 1 Liter of water ratio

The simplest solution:

French Press (use one that has a small particule filter to avoid drinking coffee mud around the end)
** You will need a French Press tools
** Price range: 20$-100$

- Coffee Grind: coarse (medium)
- Quantity: 10g per 240 ml cup (340ml would be around 14g-16g) (I think one tablespoon full is around 10g if i'm not mistaken, someone would like to validate?)

As people explained already, you put the grind coffee at the bottom, fill up the water, wait for a total brew of 3-4 minutes and move the grind coffee at least once or twice in teh first minutes to have it all well soaked. press down and drink

(Make good coffee)

Aerobie Aeropress
** You will need an Aerobie Aeropress (Price Range: 28$-48$ (48$ price range include a 20$ metal filter))
- Coffee grind: Fine or medium
- Quantity: 18g per 340ml (level 4 on the tools)

Install the filter (can use one paper filter (4.99$ for 350) or a reusable metal filter)
Put the grind coffee and pour the water until the 4th level and fix the press part of the tools to squeeze it without pushing too far yet.
Wait for 30 seconds, remove the press part and move the grind coffee around and put the press part back in place.
around at 1 mins 30 secs start pressing and do the whole pressing part so it last for about 30 seconds.

To clean up, keep the tools in the pushed down position and remove the filter part on top of your trashcan, rinse with water to remove the left over and it is all clean.

(Make awesome good coffee, this tools is used in competition and cupper to get the best out of coffee. It is not as good as Espresso, but for a traveler size tools, that's what get closest to it)
(Maybe other similar metal based tools that develop more pressure could be better, but I don't know such a tools yet) *Wink Wink inventor*

A bit more technical

Pour Over technic using Hario V60
** You will need:
1x Hario V60 (18$-30$)
1x GooseNeck Kettle (Any kettle would do, but gooseneck allow you to be more precise with the pouring and aiming) (60$-120$) My favorite being Hario Buono or Bonavita Electric 1.7L Gooseneck
1x Hario V60 filter (either paper one use, or metal reusable) (9.99$ / 100 paper filters OR Able metal filter 80$)

• Dosage: 29 Grams for 440 mL (66g/L)
  • Grind: Medium (or finer) (15-20/40)
  • Temp: Off the boil (I brewed at 203°-205°)
  • Pre-Infusion: Pre-wet and let sit for 45 seconds
  • Total Time: 3.3 minutes
Method

1. Rinse Filter (wet the filter with hot water and warm your cup with warm water, throw away the water in the cup and start making your coffee)
  2. Grind and pour the coffee into V60, shaking to settle grounds.
  3. Pre-infuse with water allowing it to sit 45 seconds. (add just enough water to wet the coffee grinds. start from center and go around in outward spiral watering only the coffee without touching the filter directly with the water) Putting the water on the filter would make the water move toward the side of the V60 and the filter bypassing where the Coffee is)
  4. Begin pouring from the center out clockwise in a circular outward spiral motion until volume is reached.
Tasting Notes

• Light acidity for the duration of the sip
  • Light orange peel sweetness
  • Finishes clean with ripe berry (very similar to a naturally processed coffee)
Brew Method Notes

After Barefoot’s brew method I was wary of using a high temperature (over 200°F) with a ratio over 60g/L. That being said I think this method worked surprisingly well for two reasons: first, it was a pretty general method which left it up to me to fill in some parameters per the coffee I'm using; second, while the dosage was higher than 60g/L and the brew temperature high (I let the water sit for a bit after boiling so temperature was probably at 203°-205°) the grind was coarser which guarded against over extraction.
Score: 9/10
Source: https://prima-coffee.com/blog/v60-brewmethod-review

There is a fabulous blog about brewing technics that I love, a must see if you want to learn more.

- https://prima-coffee.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-pour-over-coffee-brewing
- https://prima-coffee.com/blog/v60-brewmethod-review
- https://prima-coffee.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-immersion-coffee-brewing

Last edited:

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
javanize.me, you provided a lot of great information and added some good links, especially for beginners or those seeking to improve the quality of their brew. I think leaving out the Clever Dripper, already mentioned by others, is overlooking one of the very best solutions to the OP's question. In fact, the site to which you provided links has this to say about the advantage of Clever Dripper brewing:

The Clever method is just so dang easy. It combines pour-over and immersion brewing to consistently produce a clean and well-extracted cup – and all of this in an accessible and affordable way. If you're just starting out with manual brewing we recommend the Clever as a fun and easy introduction. This method requires little-to-no experience and you can produce a great cup from the get-go.

After using a press pot for years, my local coffee roaster gave me a Clever Dripper as a gift. It took me a while to get around to really giving it a fair trial. On a whim, I took it with me on an extended visit to another city and used it exclusively for over a month. The press pot, actually a couple of them, are now in retirement. When I need a larger quantity of coffee at one time, I use a Technivorm drip coffeemaker but, when it is just me, I make one great cup at the time in the Clever Dripper.

Nav

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
A couple of things to look out for is the grind and the cleanliness of the equipment. A lot of folks miss those out