Information Needed: Diedrich IR-1 Roaster

dash08pilot

Jan 25, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
Anyone currently use a Diedrich IR-1 Roaster and can provide feedback on this roaster? I currently have an Ambex YM2 that I have been using for the past 10 years. The first 7 years I used it in a small coffee business but now only use it for a hobby. I am thinking about downsizing, but I am not sure if the Diedrich IR-1 Roaster would be a good candidate for this. Any feedback would be helpful.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Just a couple of thoughts. I am assuming after 7 years you know your machine very well. Maybe it takes up too much of a footprint for you,this is understandable.
The IR2(tabletop-small footprint) will roast max. 2.2lbs, I would not think the YM2 could roast 5lbs., I would say 4lbs consistent max loads. My point, it is not much
of a downsize to me. Plus you will go out of pocket for the exchange. Assuming, you are thinking new machine. The Ambex you have is also great for sample roasting. I could understand upgrading to a larger machine to fulfill increased business. Seems like you are all set right now. JMO.

dash08pilot

Jan 25, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
Just a couple of thoughts. I am assuming after 7 years you know your machine very well. Maybe it takes up too much of a footprint for you,this is understandable.
The IR2(tabletop-small footprint) will roast max. 2.2lbs, I would not think the YM2 could roast 5lbs., I would say 4lbs consistent max loads. My point, it is not much
of a downsize to me. Plus you will go out of pocket for the exchange. Assuming, you are thinking new machine. The Ambex you have is also great for sample roasting. I could understand upgrading to a larger machine to fulfill increased business. Seems like you are all set right now. JMO.

I believe the YM 2 is technically a 2.5 kilo because I can roast up to around 5.5 pounds max.

Also, I am looking at a IR-1 not a IR-2. I agree that there is not much difference in size between the YM2 and IR2.

The main issue for downsizing is, we recently moved to a more restrictive neighborhood and I was not able to Install my YM2 at our new house. My thoughts were that the IR-1 being a smaller roaster, maybe this would work at our new house? Not sure if there would be much difference in smoke output between the two. I know my Ambex can at times smoke up the block, especially when roasting a full batch and the weather is just right.

I have my my roaster setup temporarily at work, which is allowing me to still roast. It is not the most ideal situation though.

Gary

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
The amount of smoke is dependent on the amount of coffee being roasted, not which roaster you use.

You didn't give a reason for the Ambex not being suitable for your new location. My guess is the IR-1 wouldn't be approved either. If you can use the Diedrich, then why not just do 1lb. batches in the Ambex?

dash08pilot

Jan 25, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
The amount of smoke is dependent on the amount of coffee being roasted, not which roaster you use.

You didn't give a reason for the Ambex not being suitable for your new location. My guess is the IR-1 wouldn't be approved either. If you can use the Diedrich, then why not just do 1lb. batches in the Ambex?

You raise some good points. My main concern is making my new neighbors mad about the smoke and smell.
My last neighbors didn't mind the smell. Of course it probably helped when I kept feeding them fresh roasted coffee. :grin:

I guess I just figured that a smaller roaster would accommodate smaller batches easier than a larger roaster. The smallest batches that I have done on the YM 2 is around 1 pound. I will do some smaller roast and see how they come out.

Gary

dash08pilot

Jan 25, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
This is a possibility. I am going to try smaller batches and see how it works out.

Cool idea for a non-burning afterburner. Seems like a little overkill for my situation though. If I had tons of time to tinker, might be a good project to dive into.

Gary