Instant coffee for pour-over?

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Bohan, why don't you try using the instant for a pour over and let us know how it turns out? Compare it to what other ways you brew it. We could at least make this an experiment!

I tried it today. I put in a heaping tablespoon of instant Chock full O'nuts for about 14 oz of coffee, which is a bit strong but I wasn't sure it would all go through the filter. It all went through. I added milk and a packet of sugar like I did with my last pour over of ground Maxwell House Gourmet Roast. The instant smelled and tasted much milder than the Maxwell House. If you ever try to get a non-coffee drinker to drink coffee, you're better off with instant Chock full O'nuts than regular ground coffee. I used to drink Classico and that's a bit more like regular ground coffee but still probably milder. How freshly ground beans compare I don't know yet, but when I try them I'll get the mildest I can find if the price is decent.

Oh, and the pour over instant compared to normal instant preparation...probably the same. It tasted better this time probably because I added sugar and more milk than usual.