Introductions

Columbian

Jan 18, 2005
Visit site
Hello coffee lovers

This is my first post. I love coffee. I have had some of the very best tasting coffee, but only in restaurants. For some reason, I cannot duplicate good restaurant coffee at home.

I don't know if I have the wrong coffee maker or the wrong beans or whether I should grind my own beans, or what. I am here to read other opinions and maybe get some ideas and suggestions that will improve my coffee making. :)

My goal in 2005 is to learn the basic abc's of coffee making. :D

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
came to the right place...grind your own...buy small quantities from a local roaster or an online roastery that roasts to order :wink: buy a french press and enjoy!!

Columbian

Jan 18, 2005
Visit site
topher, thank you

Thank you for your reply.

I do have a small French Press that I haven't used in years. I found that the coffee got cold and I like it hot. Is there any particular French Press that you would recommend?

Thanks. :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
The problem with french press is that you need to transfer it to a carafe after you have brewed it...it will stay hot if you transfer it. I use bodum...had a meloir(bodum bought the name) It was beautiful but my ex wife broke the glass by accident and threw it away with out telling me....she didn't know that you could replace the glass...oh well what can one do

lilgoomer

Jan 21, 2005
Visit site
Hello

I am located in a small town in Wisconsin and am beginning my business plan to open a coffee shop here in town. Introduce a bit of culture to these backwaters :wink: I am tired of driving 50 miles to get a decent cup of coffee! How does anyone come up with a clever, fun, humorous, hip name for a coffee shop?

Columbian

Jan 18, 2005
Visit site
Thanks topher

Have you ever used one of these?

Bodum Columbia Thermal Coffee Press

The Bodum Columbia thermal coffee press features a stunning stainless steel design with insulated double-wall construction to keep your coffee hot and delicious up to 2-hours. Perfectly suited for home, office or cafe use; this stylish thermal French press works great for preparing tea as well.

Looks like this one would eliminate the need for transferring coffee out of the French Press and into a Thermal carafe because it is all in one.

What do you think?

charmcitycoffee

Jan 28, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Hello,

I found these forums while doing online searches for espresso machine reviews, and have been lurking for a few days. I'm helping a friend open a shop with a cafe in Baltimore, MD (this spring!). Though I worked for Borders for 7 years (cafe and cafe management), I know my coffee knowledge is thin, so I'm giving myself a crash course and I'm finding tons of information!

Personally, I have been drinking coffee since I was 3; some of it good, lots of of mediocre to bad. I've found I'll drink most of it happily, but I want to push my consumption more to the good to excellent side of the equation.

I expect I'll be on the industry section a lot, but I love reading all the passionate input!

-Amy

mrs.macchiato

Jan 31, 2005
fl
Visit site
maybe she's born with it,maybe it's macchiato....

Hi there, Im new...stumbled across this site when doing some coffee reading. I have to say, it' nice you guys are here.
I am Brandy,new to the world of cafe but not new to coffee. the "mrs.macchiato" comes from the recesses of my memory when i was told as a kid "If you love it so much, why dont you marry it."
there you go :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Welcome! Where is your shop in Florida? I roast here in Jax but travel to Tampa almost every week end...always looking for new coffee shops! If you love coffee so much do what I did...get beans tat2ed on your wrist :wink:

n3tfury

Feb 28, 2005
Southwest
Visit site
'lo! Obligatory first post. I'm new to REAL coffees since I've been drinking mochas and lattes for a few years now. I want to branch out with my coffee tastes and stumbled across this site while researching about the different kinds of grinders there are.

I hope to hang around a bit!

Cheers!

Chickwbrains

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Ok...

I'm just your average run of the grinder person. I like coffee--mochas and lattes that is, I'm not into drinking it black, sorry. :wink: I am probably younger than most here (16) and uh, I guess if I have anything else to say later I'll come back and say it. 8)

~Meg