Keep it real: The negatives of owning your own store

Powersolo

Jun 19, 2008
South
Visit site
From what I''m seeing I joined the forum at the right time. I''m thinking of starting a coffee shop but I''m wondering if it will be worth the trouble and might not add up to what I''m making now at my existing job. I''d also like to take a vacation if I owned my own business. If I get my wife to work, I''d like her to go with me. Is all of this possible given the negative side of owning a shop? I''m not planning on becoming a millionare, that''s for sure, but if the rewards are few, I might need to rethink this for a while.

thanks,

Powersolo

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure the rewards, however few, are great ones and do justify the move from working for someone else to owning your own shop.

Here was an attempt of mine to encourage members of this forum to be a little more optimistic about their decision to own and operate a coffee shop:

http://www.coffeeforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7144

I'm still waiting for more posts in "the positives of owning your own store" thread.

ElPugDiablo

John P said:
attempted freeloading.
I had a guy from local shelter came in this Monday asking for a bagel. The cashier told him we will toast one for him with cream cheese once we are done with the morning line. After about two minutes, he started to make a big stink about we are not doing his "order" and how we disrespect him. So I threw him out and told him to never come in again. Until he started to make a ruckus I was training a new person who did not know he was a regular freeloader, she thought I was the meanest person on earth. Oderint dum metuant I always say.

wiferichie

May 9, 2017
Visit site
This is one of my favorite posts on here

I just read all the replies. And as someone who is opening a coffee shop in a few months, I found the answers helpful and fun (in a sad, realistic way) :razz:
(and yes, I realize this is 10 years later HA)

Chucktin

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
OMG, who said that they read their employees blog??? :shock:

The first thing that came to my mind was the long hours.....long LONG hours.....I'm still adjusting.

Dealing with snobby customers. I had one the other day from SLC and boy was she bad. "I'd like a 7 shot latte with 7 oz of vanilla please". I make it. She says it tastes like mud. She wants more flavoring and some half&half. Now it's acceptable but she informs me during the process of fixing her drink that Starbucks makes it right for her everytime and she doesn't know if I've ever heard of Starbucks but they're the REAL coffee makers and the ones that started it all.

:roll: I'm screaming inside, going "lady, I'm well traveled and lived and drank coffee extensively in europe. I know Starbucks and I know good coffee, now shut up!"

I just kept smiling and trying to make it right for her. [emoji38]
We met Starbucks on Honeymoon 20 years ago in Oregon. Ugh, will never go back. Honeymoon was great in spite of that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chucktin

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
ONE MONTH OLD HERE SERVING TULLY'S COFFEE, GREAT LOCATION NEAR BUS STOPS, 1 BLOCK CITY COLLEGE OF SAN FRANCISCO, A LOT OF DRIVE BY TRAFFIC, AND LOCAL BUSINESSES, NO STARBUCKS FOR 3 MILES

1. AS THE OWNER YOU ARE PROBABLY THE BEST AT EVERY AVENUE OF YOUR BUSINESS, EVERYTHING FROM MAKING ESPRESSO DRINKS, BEING PERSONABLE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, MANAGING WASTE, MANAGING PROMOTIONS, PEAK HOURS, TIME MANAGEMENT ECT ECT, BUT YOU CAN'T BE EVERYWHERE AT THE SAME TIME. SO THERE WILL ALWAYS BE AREAS THAT SUFFER

2. I OPENED THIS MARCH 1ST AND SAN FRANCISCO SET A RECORD FOR THE MOST RAIN IN A MARCH IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED WEATHER HISTORY OF SAN FRANCISCO 26 DAYS OUT OF 31

3. NOT KNOWING HOW MUCH LOSS IS TOO MUCH LOSS. I LOST $2000 IN MONTH 1 BUT IM NOT SURE IS THAT REASONABLE OR NOT. I FIGURE THAT WE STILL HAVE ON HAND 1500 IN INVENTORY SO 500 IS REALLY LOSS NOT INCLUDING NOT PAYING MYSELF. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE THE RAIN REALLY FACTORED IN 30%? 40%?

4. 14 HOUR WORK DAYS 7 DAYS A WEEK

5. MIND NEVER STOPS THINKING, NEVER....
All caps has been labeled as "shouting" too much of your own product? [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk