Laws and Permits to Roast in-store?

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Had my hearing last night on the 3 compartment sink vs my single sink. The sink I purchased is 18 x 18 x 14 deep S/S and NSF. I explained that I do not cook at all and my place is strictly take out. Why do I need a sink to wash rinse and sterilize? Dont care what the food industry says because it does not apply to what I do. After a little back and forth discussion they issued me a variance for the single sink.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Had my hearing last night on the 3 compartment sink vs my single sink. The sink I purchased is 18 x 18 x 14 deep S/S and NSF. I explained that I do not cook at all and my place is strictly take out. Why do I need a sink to wash rinse and sterilize? Dont care what the food industry says because it does not apply to what I do. After a little back and forth discussion they issued me a variance for the single sink.

Glad to hear it! Should have been a no-brainer from the get-go ... but then many (if not MOST) government entities are not operating with much brainpower.

Breifne

Feb 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Business is one of the few sources of money they have to leverage to keep their sad operations running, while employing 10X the people necessary (with pensions). They need to generate this revenue somewhere, and if you're opening a business, you look like a big bag of cash to them. Yes, they do serve well in some cases, and order/control is needed. But a 3 compartment sink, mop sink, washable walls, ceilings...gimme a break. That's lunacy. It's officials not knowing anything about a given industry and applying blanket standards to it. "Well, line 2345 in paragraph 123452456 says this, so do it. And pay me after."

Very well said, John. You've hit that nail squarely on the head.

seeingcoffee

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
One more thing to consider is determining whether your city will require the roaster and/or afterburner to bear UL certification. I am building a roasting operation in Sacramento, CA and in researching the requirements for a building permit, all equipment needed to bear a UL sticker or be field tested. Since my equipment bears neither, I ordered field testing and certification at a price of slightly over $3K. It was an unanticipated yet unavoidable expense.

wwcove

Banned
Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If you can find a location outside the city the counties are much easier to deal with... The cities are just plain stupid...

sacredcoffee

Feb 3, 2016
Orlando, FL
Visit site
One more thing to consider is determining whether your city will require the roaster and/or afterburner to bear UL certification.
Where to look for this info? I research the "code_of_ordinances" :decaf: for our city and all what you can find in internet - no word for roaster requirements. We want to have a roaster inside, not bigger than 5 kg.

jsab

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
You would likely need to speak with a zoning official. I see your in Orlando -- there was a Diedrich roaster at Barney's coffee (I think it was barney's) right in Winter Park so if they are allowed there then I'm sure it shouldn't be too big of a hassle. Usually any roaster under 5kg doesn't need an afterburner, only when you get past 12kg will you need one (in most cities)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I would reach out to Anne Valdez. She was with Barnies for years. I believe she started Barnies kitchen as well. I sent her a message seeing if could get her contact info. She owns Florisbella Coffee Consulting co. You can find her on LinkedIn . When I get the number I can pm you it if you want.

sacredcoffee

Feb 3, 2016
Orlando, FL
Visit site
OMG!! Topher, Jsab, thank you soo much!! yes I want all help and info!! We looking for opening in Maitland area hope that is not different than in Orlando. Maitland is so small and I almost broke my neck to find what permits we need.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Have you reached out to the department of Ag? They should be able to get you started. Dealing with them is so much easier than the health department.

sacredcoffee

Feb 3, 2016
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Have you reached out to the department of Ag? They should be able to get you started. Dealing with them is so much easier than the health department.
Did not yet, I plan the map-plan from where to start. Thank you for pointing in the right direction.
Do we need the Food Manager for a cafeteria or a coffee shop?

Last edited:

Latest posts