Machine advice?

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
I love it, good conversation for my sake. Shadow, could you tell me if this machine has all the controls I need (given I put in the time to learn) to pull consistent shots?

Also - I love the idea of putting in time with a machine that is capable of good results. Burning through a few pounds of beans while trying to dial in a shot sounds (at least now) like play time. I have a few friends who could help me out too, stellar baristas at a great shop.

Last edited:

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
Haven't had the time to research that Astra, but more than likely it's a heat exchange machine. Some fanboys don't like heat exchange machines as they have their heads up the butts of La Marzocco. AFAIK they did invent the dual boiler machine and of course think they own the espresso world. Hardly the case. I have worked on a few LM machines and found them average at best. The heat exchange NS Aurelia I owned/operated ran circles around those polished turd La Marzoccos all day long. Don't be put off by heat exchange machines as they are just as solid as any other machine out there once you find the sweet spot, which all equipment has. Just a matter of finding what works for YOU and stick with it.

I own and use both an Izzo Alex 2HX/Alex Duetto2 DB . I've had some amazing shots with my HX and prefer it at times over my DB. I use my Dual Boiler if I'm running a lot of the same blend or bean, But for testing my blends (usually testing 3 or 4 every day over the span of a week) I prefer to use my HX.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
Just talked to the owner of the Astra espresso machine (and the Rancillo grinder) again. He still has it. Told me he'd take $700 for both. Leaning against it, but thought I'd put it past you all to see what you think. He told me he got it from an area roaster 5 months before he closed his shop, refurbished.

Espresso Machine

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That setup for $700 is a no-brainer without question. If I needed another setup I would jump on it. Astras are good workhorse machines just as capable as any other. The grinder is also quite capable.

I wouldn't worry about it being refurbished as that is pretty much a guarantee it's been gone through and is in good working order. It appears to be in excellent condition as advertised.

Last edited:

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
Shadow745 is right. The Astra seems like a decent machine.
IMO the Astra machines I have worked with have one problem, a very common problem with many machines, especially the smaller prosumer models - the group temperature tends to creep up if idle for a while. The smaller machines seem to suffer more, probably because of their smaller boilers/group. Correct jetting of the thermal reserve can help as can the pressure settings.
A good barista working hard on a busy machine makes the best coffee. PID controls (and others) can have a huge effect of flavour but you need to know how to get the best from a standard machine first IMO.
There isn't a machine on the market that makes truly great espresso from the first shot to the last - they all need a few trial shots at first to "season" the group, stabilise flavours and temperatures and continual checks during the day to get the very best.
All the prosumer machines I have used have varied in espresso quality more than most commercial machines as almost all commercial machines are bigger in every way. Bigger boilers/thermal reserves, groups, pipe work as well as their control mechanisms will mean less fluctuation of temperature and pressure. Taking a cup of water from a commercial machine certainly has an effect but nothing like the cup full taken from a machine with a boiler as big as your fist...