My project for the past few months.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
eldub,

All the coffees and prices were changed after my comment. He is using a different drop shipper... note he never lists who is roasting the coffees. He had already mentioned that he was looking for a different source. Still, no value added.

Tony's reputation as a roaster and just a great "coffee guy" are rock solid. I can say the same for Nick as well. The coffees you get are a direct correlation to the reputation of the roaster and the kinds of coffee they are known for sourcing.

Shoot them an email if you have questions.

I like what Tonx does. We offer a Select Single Origin subscription service that's Roaster's choice as well. Seasonal small-batch regional coffees come and go quickly, so it's about delivering exceptional coffees and allowing customers to experience a wide range of changing coffees over a few months or a years.

crackofdawncoffee

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
edub: prices were from $14-$25 per lb. they have been recently changed, just like what John P has stated.

I used to list who roasted the beans but took it down in the process of the current change.

johnP: I am trying to figure out how to add value, this is my first business so I'm a HUGE rookie at this. Learning more about coffee is why I am here. I know that running a business is HARD work and takes a lot of time. Making nickels and dimes is not my idea of a business, but it's a start at least. Better to take action and learn then sit around and read continuously never knowing what works and what doesn't.

kopiboy

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
A simple added value would more detailed description of the beans. For example if you can give some tasting notes, the roast profile etc. This will make your site seem more like a professional coffee site. This info you should be able to get from your roaster.
eg
Stearman Blend - what are the two beans used for the blend. Sometimes it may be a proprietary secret - I understand - but in that case you need to have a better description of the flavours etc
Mocha java - ok so it is Sumatra and Ethiopia. But if you can tell people it is Ethioapia Yergacheffe and Sumatra Mandheling, it is at least a start.

Also I would try to recommend how to enjoy the coffee. Is it best as an espresso, a french press etc. A late night after dinner coffee or a morning pick-me-up?

Good luck!

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The idea of adding information about the beans isn't really adding value to the product being sold, imo. Rather it is an improvement in the marketing of the coffee.

Roasting and blending beans is adding value. Buying roasted beans and then making your own blends might be considered adding value.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
c.o.d.

I admire your spirit. You take criticism in stride, do your best to assess it and move forward. If you keep that attitude, you will find success.

What you have right now is not sustainable as a business model.

There has to be a value to what you are selling. A "Why do I want that?" for the potential customer.

Now, obviously you can't do the exact same thing, but good model (right now) for this kind of thing is at gocoffeego.com. But for me, as the pricing is the same, I'd just buy from the roaster directly. They deserve the profit more than the secondary buyer. Personally, as a coffee person, I don't see any value.

But you can always count on the laziness factor. Many people do like simplicity, and for this kind of coffee business model, I think theirs is done very well.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've explored many (many) websites that sell coffee, and this is the first time I've looked at gocoffeego.com

It is certainly a good model to follow. It's very pleasing to the eye, well organized, and not full of advertisements.

Plus, I really like the way they put the flat rate shipping information in plain sight. I hate when I have to search for it!

I liked the part on the bottom of the page where they say they did an exhaustive search and two years of secretly ordering fresh roasted coffee beans from every roaster with coffee for sale they could find. That was a great touch!

Rose

crackofdawncoffee

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
johnP: Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. I see what your saying that I have no value, now I need to figure out how to add it. I've looked at gocoffeego.com and I like the site. It's easy to navigate and it is pleasing to the eye, makes me want to explore more.

I am currently working on a better layout so that it's easier to navigate and looks better instead of being so dark. Still working on adding value, might buy some beans and experiment with mixing different ones to make different blends. If not to sell, then just for me.

thank-you everybody for your criticism, I appreciate it more then you know.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
crackofdawn,

make no mistake, what makes gocoffeego work is they have some of the very best coffee offerings in the USA. Everything else is secondary.

Start from the coffee and work from there.

Best of luck!

A few things I noticed quickly going through your site:

- Wrong abbreviation for Alaska. Should be AK.
- No mention of the size of the bags of coffee you're selling (unless I missed it). This should be clear.
- It looks like the default Wordpress theme...I would suggest looking through free themes to find one better suited.
- The coffee beans tiled in the background are not seamless, in that you can see a clear seam between the tiles, and there's a watermark in the image.
- You might have too many offerings. It might be wise to scale back and really focus on a select few coffees.

</mytwocents>

Latest posts