My theory on preventing over extraction

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
OK, this coffee is unworkable for my taste. It even leaves a bitter aftertaste 20 minutes after I drink it, even with milk. I saw a "light-medium" ground coffee that I may try next time. I'll eventually try whole beans that I'll put in my blender (I'm not buying a grinder yet). I want to try all the possibilities.

May I suggest you buy some quality beans from a roaster? Sounds like the coffee is crap, start with good coffee and go from there. PM me your address and I send you some samples.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
There are several roasters not too far from me, in Williamsburg Brooklyn. I really want to see how low I can go and still be satisfied. I'll work my way up to the roasters. And I think I'll use my mortar and pestle instead of my blender.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
And what exactly are you looking for, Bohan? I get the impression that you are more concerned about some health attributes of coffee, as much or more than enjoying the tastes, yes? Just curious, that's all.

Bohan

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
It's all about taste now (and reasonable cost). But it's hard to describe what I want. My Maxwell House Gourmet Roast is a little too strong or bitter. I'm really curious about lighter roasts so I'll try one eventually. I'm using up what I have first.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I would just caution you about taking a too-roundabout course; it'll end up costing you more if you monkey around with ideas that others have already found faulty. I'm not saying that your tastes are the same as my tastes or the tastes of others, you'll most likely find something that suits you and maybe very few others. But, in effect what you are trying to do is eliminate variables that will lead to less-than-desirable results, and starting off with some proven beans might remove that variable out of the equation.

monstro18

Jul 4, 2014
Iowa
Visit site
Sounds to me like you might not be using the right amount of coffee or that the coffee is too course and you may be actually getting under extraction. The Art of Coffee Dojo, how to brew the best cup of coffee has a link to a video tutorial of a manual pour over method at the bottom of the page. Read the "wrap up" too there is some good information there as well!

A machine that senses clarity is a good thought but I'm not sure it would be practical. In theory, a person who likes weaker coffee should be able to grind courser and use more water to extract exactly what they need from the coffee, and not over extract due to the course grind. The brew would in this case be of course clearer than your brew or mine.