Names of Coffee- Legal or not?

m962b

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a very small, nearly blog like coffee company that focuses on vinyl records and small batch coffee beans. I have tried a few different names for my coffee, other than the name of the origin itself. Before i print labels and go much further, does anyone know the legality of using the following names?

Frank Sumatra
French Press of Bel Air
Bitches Brew
Bolivia Newton John

and any others?

Most of these are available from Hot Box roasters, so In some respects i am stealing their names, which i am not sure they own.

Further, If any of you have any other ideas......

Thanks,

Mike

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Certainly there is an issue with using a celebrity likeness or name derivative. Legalities aside, were the estate of Frank Sinatra, for instance, or the celebrity, as in the case of Olivia Newton John, to take issue with this your use of their name, they are entitled to bring legal action against you. Whether or not you prevail is NOT as important, in my opinion, as the fact that you will needlessly spend money defending yourself...maybe a lot of money if you lose and have to pay their legal costs. We all know how McDonald's is regarding their name, right? Well I recall reading that a family owned restaurant in the midwest had to change their name from something like MacDonald's Family Restaurant, even though that was the families' actual name. Ben & Jerry named a flavor "Cherries Garcia", but I believe that they paid a royalty for that privilege.

Having said this...I'm still rolling about the Bolivia Newton John name...LOL! That would be worth paying royalties on. Just sayin' :coffee:

Peaberry

CoffeeQuill

Aug 27, 2016
NYC
Visit site
Could you use a coffee painting for your vlog? (paintings made with just coffee)
13395154_1086058974787834_987779233_n.jpgCoffee Painting of My Coffee Shop Coffee Shop.jpgIspresso Coffee Shop Coffee Painting.jpgSmithandChang Coffee Shop Front.jpgVanilla Bean Cafe 1.jpg