Need help finding a relay, Finder 65.23 or something comparable for Cimbali Bistro 2 (early 90s)

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
This should be the last thing I need to replace/fix for my machine. Got a cimbali Bistro 2 early 90s. It uses a special relay, 9 pin, type 65.23, I cant find it anywhere. What relay can I use as an alternative to the original? I've attached a picture. Any assistance would be appreciated.

20240207_2058161.jpgScreenshot_20240208-211228_WhatsApp.jpg1.jpg47.png

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
I tried Espresso parts, no go. Tried checking south Cali, nada. Apparently this relay is impossible to find. I did however find a different relay. It was recommended by an electrician who works on the Trolley here in San Diego. He recommended this relay (see below). It has less pins but has the same numbers on the old relay. I received it today and will be plugging it in soon to see if it works.

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Hope it works.

Relays have to match exactly. Factors have to match, such as coil voltage; contact amperage and voltage; type of contact material (determined by the load such as resistive (heaters), inductive (motors) or capacitive (controls, etc); and heating factors (is the load momentarily or continuous)?

If it doesn't, they these guys:

Last edited:

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
This is the relay I got. Amps is higher but that shouldnt matter. Everything elses matches albeit its set up a little differently. If I have, I will set it up today.

Attachments

• Capture11111.PNG
    Capture11111.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 9

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
As I read it, when current closes A & B, terminals 1+4+7 close, terminals 2+5+8 close and terminals 3+6+9 close. Simple enough.

You're right about the current rating, more is better. Make certain the coil voltage is correct (AC or DC - this is important as each has different characteristics) and the loads they connect to..

If uncertain, I'd go with contacts rated for inductive loads as their designed to handle sparking better.

Please let me know if it worked.

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
Here is the original one. If you look at the lay out vs the new one, its lay out is different, 32 is no longer in the middle top but on the top right. I am told to just follow the numbers on the old one and place them exactly where the numbers are on the new one. Enigma-2, you seem to understand this WAY WAY more than I do lol. I am relying on the expertise of other people who have 0 knowledge of espresso machine but know quite a bit about electrical stuff ;p

Attachments

• 1234.PNG
    1234.PNG
    110.7 KB · Views: 8

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
The numbers on the old one, DO NOT correspond to the numbers on the new one. They are almost always different.

Sometimes, but not always, they print a schematic on the side of the relay. If they have this, pls post and we can go from there.

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Also as I recommended before, try emailing coffeetec customer service, tell them your machine make and model and see if they have a schematic. If they do, (many high end service dealers have information on different machines) they may be able to find a replacement relay.

F9zSlavik

Feb 9, 2024
San Diego
Visit site
Are you asking for the schematics of the new one or old one?

For the new one, this is what I have. The person who recommended me the new relay said, for example, on the old one, 32 is on the middle top. On the new one, if you follow the layout (see pic), it will be on the top right. And so on and on. Are you suggestion this might not be right?

As far as the old relay, I cant find jack about it. Its a Finder 65.23

If you search for Cimbali Bistro 2, you get universal relays, model 62.83., which is identical relay to the one I bought. It's also numbered the same way. Check it out.

Capture11111.PNG
relay 1.PNG
62.83..PNG

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Well, if the new one is the same make (brand) as the old on, it possible the contacts line up.

The red numbers on the schematic are machine circuit numbers and the black numbers are those of the relay.

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
The schematic I was talking about is for the entire machine. Sometimes thd manufacturer includes an electric schematic to aid service shops in repair. It's problematic however. Why I'm recommending contacting a service dealer.

It's going to cost, but considering the value of the machine spending a hundred is not a big deal.

Enigma-2

Oct 26, 2023
Indiana
Visit site
Based on the information you supplied, it's not possible to give a better recommendation.

What I would do (besides looking for a service dealer who has access to the service information) would be ohm out the relay and create a schematic. Be a starting point at least.

Latest posts