Need Recommendations on coffee roasters

ellatas

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Perforated Drum Roasters, such as the Vittoria and the larger Burns 23R, are capable of profile roasting and producing nice coffees. However, for darker roasts that produce more build up within the roaster, the build up will reduce the openings within the perforations over time. This will affect airflow and the consistency of the roast batches. For Burns 23R Roasters, "Automated Clean Outs" are required on a regular basis to ensure the perforated hole openings are maintained. I'm not sure of the capability to clean the perforations on the Vittoria.
On a Solid Drum Roaster, the build up does not affect the airflow as significantly. Consequently the roasts should be more consistent over time.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Mados's quote, "In a drum roaster, much of the chaff that comes off of the roasting coffee beans remains in with the beans throughout the roast."

"much" This is not true. Almost all commercial drum roasters today have external chaff collectors. My 2006 Ambex 10k does not have one(unfortunately!), bu tit does have a large chaff collecting box at the base of the machine. During the roast drying time aprox. 6-10 min. the "great majority" of the chaff leaves the drum. The only way it would stay in my drum would be if I damp 100% off during the whole roast. Which I never ever do. I only damp 100% off till turn temp.about the first 1:30 of roast. When I dump into cooling tray, almost no chaff appears. And no, it is not burnt to smoke in the drum. Mados, most of my roast drop temps reflect your profile, 426*,(nice profile by the way for an air roaster!), time and temp.

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thank you JumplinJakJava, but I got this from
cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/acrylamide
It's very difficult after 200 years of drum roasting solution, change your mind about
new way of coffee roasting. But true is true. The biggest problem of drum roaster is cleaning
and nobody can tell what is go in on inside drum when you do your next batch....

I see information about acrylamide in coffee... however I don't see anything that supports your statement about drum roasting vs. air roasting and the effects on acrylamide.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
FYI... I dug up the article Under the Microscope—Turning up the heat on acrylamide (Jan/Feb 2008; pg. 47)... and there is no mention of chaff and/or drum roasting having any effect or creation of acrylamide. It appears to be a natural by-product of any cooking method.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
It's very difficult after 200 years of drum roasting solution, change your mind about
new way of coffee roasting. But true is true. The biggest problem of drum roaster is cleaning
and nobody can tell what is go in on inside drum when you do your next batch....

If you would reread my post, it has nothing to do about changing my mind or anyone else,
regarding air roasting vs. drum roasting. I was answering the claim about chaff remaining in the roast.
Which it does not. By the way, I can open my drum door, and clearly look inside the drum with a flashlight.
Nothing going on before the next roast, except a seasoned drum.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
In the past, people have tried many different ways to roast their beans commercially but still the drum roast is the far our number other method. Its not because people are not open minded about other roasting method but consistency of end product that comes out of the drum roaster is far superior verses other method.

You have to look at it this way.
If you are home roaster, there are few things to consider. 1. Price of the roaster. 2. Amount you can roast at a time. 3. Convenience. 4. How easy to operate.

But if you are a Commercial roaster. 1. Consistency of each roast 2. Durability 3. Size of the roaster 4. Price.

How you can see the differences on what will be the deciding factor for the roaster in difference situations.

I have a friend who roasts 5-10,000 pounds a day. Would you want to try to roast this on Fluid-bed roast and possibly mess up and lose 5000 dollars per roast? Or have very inconsistency in flavor? Those are not an option for most of the commercial roasters. So if you are planning on roasting 4-10 times a day, you should consider only the best roaster you can afford to buy. Forget roasters like Toper, Ozturk or even some of the crappy Chinese made roasters. But if you are going to roast for yourself and few friends, who cares how good the roaster is. I even roast my coffee in my home made drum roaster..... lol ;)

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Inconsistency of the roast. Fluid bed roasters are much more sensitive to moisture in the air, temp and some of the other factors. So if you are a wholesaler who roaster tons at a time, they just can't afford to mess up or have noticeable differences in flavor. The drum roasters have been proven they are much more consistent.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
They do but not as sensitive to them. There are always going to be challenges when are roasting commercially. But it is much easier to figure out the solution when you run into problem because there are many people who have "done and been there before"
I am not saying there is no way to roast bean in Fluid-bed roaster commercially. But if I was roasting large quantity, I would want a best roaster for my need. ;)