not happy with my roast outcome

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
The format your using is difficult to understand. My suggestion would be: I'm roasting on a __K Renegade.
Charging the machine with __lbs @ __*F. Turning point or bottom out time/bean temp. Time/bean temp. From the turning point to end of drying stage (beans yellow). Ramp to 1C: time and rate of rise on BT. Final roast adjustment before or at 1C, 1C BT and time for the roast development stage. End of roast time, RD time, bean temp, and estimated roast level. Nice to know what bean temp 2C happens. If you have adjustable air settings its better to post them simply: low, med., high or in between two settings.

Then put all your info in columns and the pros will able to understand your profiles.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
spice: I would comment if I had any idea of what you are doing or what you don't like about the final results.

I don't know the renegade roaster and have no idea how the info you gave us translates into how I evaluate my roasting process.

We don't know how much experience you have roasting. We don't know if you have ever managed to roast a batch of beans to your satisfaction.

hankua makes a good point above. When posters give the information he is asking you for, we usually can get some idea as to what is going on with the roast. Unfortunately from the information you have given us so far, I'm clueless.

Lightgeoduck

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I did a little research, and think I understand your settings and tne machine

first those extra numbers dealing with the drum speed and fan speed ( which is rpms ). Seem to be useless... The only thing I would think it could benefit is if it help control the temp, but both of your tests shows the same speeds in first stage and different temps

( viewers. The roaster appears to go in stages where it can be controlled... 3 being minutes 320 being temp 50rpms and 45 rpms drum/fan )

ok, I am no expert, but I know there are various reasons in fluctuating the temp during the roast and that is to prolong a certain stage of the beans roast... Either 1st crack, the wait time to 2nd Crack, or 2nd crack itself ( the latter not really a useful thing to do )

this is is done by lowering the temp at the right time where it lingers but doesn't stall the bean process and if do right, technically you can extend the carmelization of the bean or other factors. Depending on what tones of the coffe you are expecting...

pre-first crack control would be the "drying phase" of the bean, but shouldn't be done too long at a low temp otherwise you run the risk of baking your beans....

I dompnt think you need to have that many factors to manipulate on your roaster... And I might not be the one to be able to help you, because I keep every thing constant and stop it manually at the darkness and stage I like.

So with all of that being said, and since you have a profile of such... To get what you want, you can't just arbitrarily have different settings... And if you are not being random, you need to mention when you hit 1c when it stops and if you roast to 2c. When does that start, and how long before you cool the beans.. This will help the more scientic roasters give the answer you are trying to find

hope that helps

lgd

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, that helps.

Disregarding the drum and fan speed, try the following:

3min@300, 4min@380, 4min@420, 4min@400.

3min@320, 5min@400, 4min@435, 3min@410….

However, without knowing the actual temps in the bean mass at various stages of roast, the above is just a guesstimate.

Spice

May 12, 2012
So. California
Visit site
Thanks for all of your feedback. I am meeting with someone on Friday who has alot of experience with my type of machine and I will report on our discussion and roasting.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
ignorance revealed by this question, eldub...i'm understanding your most recent profile to be 3 min until 300*F, 3 more min to get to 350*F, 4 more min to get to 400*F, 3 more min to get to 420*F(13 min thus far), but i'm confused by the final "2min @400". could you clarify for me?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The profile in question gives AMBIENT TEMPS of the roaster. (At least that's what I'm guessing from the information given by OP.) The process would be shooting for BEAN TEMPS of roughly: 5.5 minutes until 300*, 2.5 minutes to get to 350*, 3 more to 400* and 4 minutes to finish at around 445*.

The last two minutes w/ambient temp at 400* should be all that is needed to slow the roasting process down and still allow batch to finish without stalling w/bean temp of (hopefully) 445*.

PS: I really have no idea what his roaster will do, but the times and temps above do correspond roughly to what I like to see on my roaster. The place I'm prolly wrong on the above profile would be by giving 300* as the starting point for ambient temps. After thinking about it, I'm guessing that the first temp programmed into the machine should maybe be closer to 380* to allow for temp drop after charging the barrel.